Chapter Thirty Nine

~ Chapter Thirty Nine: Worth Fighting For ~

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Finally, everyone has arrived in Osgiliath. The soldiers there are shooting arrows at the opposite shore, as rocks are being hurled back at them. Then, Madril walks up to Faramir.

"Faramir! Orcs have taken the eastern shore. Their numbers are too great. By nightfall we will be overrun."

Suddenly, Frodo stumbles, as if he was affected by something. Esmeralda looks at him, with a worried face.

"Frodo?"

"It's calling to him, Esmeralda. His Eye is almost on me."

"Hold on, Frodo. You'll be alright. I won't let anythin' happen to ya."

Frodo cannot hear Esmeralda, but sees that her lips are moving, and that she looks worried. Faramir looks at the Hobbits, then talks to Madril.

"Take them to my father." Faramir says, as the soldiers grab the Hobbits. "Tell him that Faramir sends a mighty gift." He looks at Esmeralda. "A weapon that will change our fortunes in this war." With one last snarl, he starts to walk away.

"Do ya want to know what happened to Boromir?" Esmeralda yells, making Faramir stop and walk back. "Ya want to know why your brother died? He tried to take the Ring from Frodo, after swearin' an oath to protect him! He tried to kill him! The Ring drove your brother mad!"

"Watch out!" A soldier yells.

At that moment, a stone is hurled at a tower behind them. Frodo's eyes glaze over, as he hears the sound of a beast's wings.

"Frodo?" Esmeralda whispers.

"They're here." He says, in a daze. "They've come."

Faramir looks upwards at the sound of the beating wings, and then hears a screech.

"Nazgûl!"

A Nazgûl on his beast flies over the city.

Frodo looks up at the sky, before Faramir grabs him and drags him to safety, with Gollum and Esmeralda

"Stay here. Keep out of sight." He commands, before running out.

"Take cover!"

At Helms Deep, It is daylight, and the Uruk Hai are using their ram to batter down the Great Hall doors. Men are running to barricade it from behind.

"The fortress is taken." Says Théoden. "It is over."

Aragorn runs with Legolas, as they carry more barricades to the door.