Chapter Twenty

~ Chapter Twenty: The Creature ~

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

The Fellowship makes their way through a misty, rocky valley. Gandalf is up front, and Frodo is behind him, leading Esmeralda by her hand.

"Frodo, come and help an old man." Gandalf says.

Frodo pats Esmeralda's hand, then lets go to assist Gandalf. The Wizard puts his arm around him, and continues walking.

"How is your shoulder?"

"Better then it was."

"And the Ring?"

Frodo pauses, and looks up at him worriedly.

"You feel its power growing don't you? I've felt it too. You must be careful now. Evil will be drawn to you from outside the Fellowship, and I fear from within."

One of the Fellowship members walk by, and Frodo looks concerned.

"Then who do I trust?"

"You must trust to yourself. Trust your own strength."

"What do you mean?"

"There are many powers in this world for good, or for evil. Some are greater then I am and against some I have not yet been tested."

Suddenly, Gimli points and shouts, "Ah! The walls of Moria!"

In front of them is a sheer, flat cliff-face.

"Dwarf doors are invisible when closed." Gimli says, tapping the wall with his axe.

"Yes, Gimli! Their own masters cannot find them, if their secrets are forgotten!" Gandalf exclaims.

"Why doesn't that surprise me?" Legolas says softly.

"Ach!"

Frodo stumbles and his foot slips in the lake. Esmeralda grabs his arms from behind, to keep him from falling. He looks back at her gratefully, then looks at the lake worriedly. She grabs his hand for comfort, and he squeezes gently.

Gandalf stops in front of a large, flat wall, and rubs his hand over it. "Ah... now let me see." His hands brush away dirt to reveal patterns on the stone. "It mirrors only starlight. And moonlight."

The patterning on the door suddenly shines brightly, revealing Elvish writing on the top. Everyone stares in awe, as Gandalf points at it with his staff.

"It reads, 'The Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria, Speak Friend and Enter'."

"What do you suppose that means?" Merry asks.

"Oh it's quite simple. If you are a friend, you speak the password and the doors will open." Gandalf turns back to the door, and raises his staff to a star in the door. "Annon Edhellen, edro hi ammen!"

Merry and Pippin grin widely, but nothing happened. Gandalf looks confused, then clears his throat and raises his hands.

"Fennas Nogothrim, lasto beth lammen."

Still, nothing happens. Gimli grunts, and Legolas looks up patiently at the Wizard.

"Nothing's happening." Pippin says to Legolas.

Gandalf walks up to the door, and tries to push it. "I once knew every spell in all the tongues of Elves, Men, and Orcs."

"What're you going to do then?" Pippin asks, before Gandalf spins around to face him.