Chapter Forty Four

~ Chapter Forty Four: Guard of the Citadel ~

••••••••••••••••

Frodo and Esmeralda are wandering through a grey, leafless forest, following Gollum.

"It must be gettin' near dinnertime." Esmeralda says, trying to make conversation. "Leastways it would be in decent places where there is still dinnertime."

"We're not in decent places." Gollum scowled.

Suddenly, she notices that Frodo looks very concerned.

"Frodo? What is it?"

"It's just a feeling." He says, softly. "I don't think I'll be coming back."

Esmeralda walks over to him, and grabs his hand.

"Yes you will. Of course ya will. That's just morbid thinkin'. We're goin' there and back again just like Bilbo. You'll see."

She leans in, and softly plants a kiss on his lips. She pulls away, and sees that his face was unfazed. She frowns sadly, then stands back to let Frodo lead off in front. After a minute, they arrive at the crossroads. They see a statue of a king.

"I think these lands were once part of the Kingdom of Gondor." Frodo says.

They walk around to the front of the statue, and stare up at it.

"Long ago, when there was a King."

They see that the head of the King was replaced by a roughly worked, iron wrapped stone. As Frodo and Esmeralda move off they come across the King's head on the ground with flowers weaved around its top like a crown. The sun comes out and illuminates the King's head. Esmeralda turns around and sees it. 

"Frodo, look! The King has got a crown again!"

She smiles at Frodo, before the sun goes in.

"Come on, Hobbits!" Gollum says. "Mustn't stop now. This way!"

Esmeralda frowns, and they continue to follow him.

Gandalf stands looking out of a window, smoking his pipe. Distant thunder can be heard, as the Wizard coughs.

"So I imagine this is just a ceremonial position." Pippin says behind Gandalf, picking up a sword. "I mean, they don't actually expect me to do any fighting... do they?"

"You're in the service of the steward now." Gandalf says, with an annoyed tone. "You'll have to do as you are told, Peregrin Took."

Suddenly, Gandalf starts to cough, and Pippin pours a goblet of water.

"Ridiculous Hobbit!" Gandalf chocked. "Guard of the Citadel!"

He continues to cough, right before Pippin gives him the water.

"Thank you." Gandalf downs the glass, as Pippin moves forward, studying the sky.

"There's no more stars. Is it time?"

"Yes."

Pippin leans on the parapet, sadly looking into the distance. "It's so quiet."

Gandalf walks up from behind him. "It's the deep breath before the plunge."

"I don't want to be in a battle. But waiting on the edge of one I can't escape is even worse. Is there any hope Gandalf, for Frodo and Esmeralda?"