Chapter Sixy Six

~ Chapter Sixty Six: Final Days ~

•••••••••••••••••••

             The couple slowly walked to Sam's house. Esmeralda tried to keep tears from escaping her eyes, but no avail. Frodo's eyes were also teared up, but he managed to keep a straight face. When they made it to their house, they hesitated before knocking. A moment later, a jolly Rosie answered the door.

"You're back! How did-" she froze when she saw their faces. "What happened?"

Esmeralda suddenly grabbed her friend, and began to cry into her shoulder. Rosie worriedly looked at Frodo, as a tear slipped from his eye, and he dropped his head.

"Esmeralda? What's wrong?" Rosie asked in fright, as Sam walked into the scene in shock.

"Mister Frodo?" Sam whispers, approaching his friend.

Frodo lifted his head up, and wiped his eyes. "Esmeralda isn't pregnant, she has leukemia. She has six months to live."

Rosie looked at Frodo in disbelief, as tears rolled down her cheeks. Sam stood in shock, before hugging his friend.

"It's not fair, Sam." Frodo sobbed.

"I know." Sam said, as he began to cry.

Esmeralda let Rosie go, and Sam embraced her, as Frodo hugged Rosie.

After hugging and crying, Rosie sadly looked into Esmeralda's and Frodo's eyes. "If you two need anything, we'll be right here."

"Thank you." Frodo said, sadly.

Esmeralda nodded, then whispered, "I want my son."

Sam quickly ran in the house, and gently picked up Drogo, who was asleep. He brought him outside, and Esmeralda grabbed him, and held him tight.

"Thank ya." Esmeralda said to Sam.

Him and Rosie nodded, and Esmeralda and Frodo said their farewells. The sad couple walked home, and gently placed Drogo in his crib. They sat on the couch, holding each other.

Two days later...

         Esmeralda was laying in bed, listening as Frodo made breakfast and fed Drogo. A few minutes later, he brought breakfast to her.

"Here you go, Love." He whispered, setting the tray on the bedside table.

She sat up, and looked into his sad eyes. "Thank ya, Frodo." She looked at the food, then up at him again. "Frodo?"

He sat on the side of the bed. "What is it?"

"I don't want to stay in this bed."

"I know, but you'll stay alive longer if you-"

"I don't care!" Esmeralda exclaimed in frustration.

Frodo looked at her sadly, as she bowed her head.

"I'm sorry. I just... Got to thinkin'. I don't want to lay here, waitin' until I die. I want to spend my final days with the people I love, and enjoy myself. I don't care if that'll shorten my life, but it would be more admirable then layin' in bed all day."

Tears slipped from Frodo's eyes, before Esmeralda wiped them away with her thumbs. "And no more sadness."

Frodo looked into her eyes, before slowly nodding. "Alright. What do you want to do first?"

            Later, Frodo, Esmeralda, Drogo, Sam, Rosie, Elanor, Baby Frodo, Merry, Pippin, and their two girlfriends, Lilliana and Ivy, gathered together to have lunch under Bilbo's tree. Frodo and Esmeralda had already shared the tragic news to Merry and Pippin, which led to more tears.