Chapter 18 - Just Go To Prom!

Chapter 18 – Just Go To Prom!

About a week had pasted since Brooklyn had begun to try and convince Dylan to come to prom again and even though she had spoken to him about it at least once every day, she still had no luck, he was refusing point blank to go. Brooklyn had now enlisted the help from Caitlin and Laura and although neither of them could see why Brooklyn wanted him to go so badly they had nothing better to do and so decided to help but still with now 3 girls begging him to go Dylan had not given in.

“I just don’t understand why he won’t go.”  Laura said exasperated as her Caitlin and Brook walked towards their next class. They had just spent the last forty minutes of lunch attacking Dylan about why he wasn’t going to prom with little more answers and now progress.

“He’s just being stubborn; he’ll go in the end he just needs a little coaxing, that’s all.” Brooklyn tried to sound positive because she knew that if Laura and Cait thought that she had given up then they would too, but inside her head she didn’t really see a way they could get Dylan to go.

“But what if he really doesn’t want to go and we’re just putting him off even more by pestering him about it?” Caitlin had just voiced Brook’s biggest fear and so she had to think quickly to avoid the others getting wind of it.

“He will, of course he will, he has too.” Laura reassured Caitlin before Brooklyn could open her mouth and so she sighed with relief.

As they walked into their tutor room everyone was sat in silence and Mrs Dawn was glaring at them they stopped talking as the realised they must be late and if there was one thing that Mrs Dawn really didn’t like it was lateness. While they sat in silence Brooklyn had time to think about what she was going to do. As their school proms had been having a small turn out for the past few years the prom committee had made a controversial decision in making it so that everybody had to go with a date and the boys had to ask the girls. At the moment with less than two months to go Brooklyn had organised everything she needed to just in case she got a last minute offer, however, at the moment it looked like she would be the only person not going to her end of school prom.

~*~

As if things weren’t bad enough at school with Brook, Cait and Laura pestering him Dylan was now getting it from his older sister. Yas was the kind of girl that every guy wanted, her perfectly wavy waist length hair was floorless and her deep blue eyes looked like pools of the sky. She would never have had to worry about not going to prom because if it was done the current way when she was at school then she would have had every boy ask her.

“Yas I just don’t wanna go; I thought you of all people would accept my decision.” Dylan had only just dropped his bag on the door step when his sister had pounced on him.

“Dylan you know I love you but if you don’t go you’ll be making the biggest mistake of your life. Are you worried that no one will want to go with you? because you’re beautiful and that is totally untrue. I’m surprised you haven’t got girls queuing around the corner to go with you.” Yas really did care for her youngest brother but knew that he would regret not going to his prom and so she was willing to make him hate her for a while because he’d soon forgive her after he saw that she was right.

“Yas it’s not that, I had a date, I just didn’t want to go to a party where there a going to be a tone of people I don’t like or don’t know that well. It’s a stupid America thing that we adopted to make girls feel pretty, when in fact most of them already are and the ones that aren’t are the ones that think their pretty and don’t need the ego boost anyway!” Dylan was really having a go at his sister and although he felt awful about it he knew he had to shout at her to make it clear. He decided he didn’t want to see Yas’ reaction to what he’d just said so he pushed past her and stopped up to his room, completely ignoring his mum and younger brother on the way.

When he reached the perfectly tidy blue and black room that he had called his own for nearly ten years. Although there were posters of cars and girls up everywhere Dylan had done very little to make the room his own. As soon as he got in he changed out of his school uniform and turned on his laptop, even though he had homework to do there was something far more important on his mind. He logged on the Facebook and blindly prayed that she would be online, he scanned his home page and when her name shot up onto the online list his heart jumped into the air. Dylan fumbled over the keyboard to try and type to her and after 3 attempts he finally managed to send a half decent message that read: “Hey Brook I was just wondering if you wanted to meet up later, if you’re not busy that is, I mean you probably are but I just thought that we haven’t really had a proper chat in a while and I'm not up to much so thought you might wanna meet up??? Xxx” when he read it back he could see that he’d been rambling and wondered what Brooklyn would think but then he saw that she was writing a message back and suddenly got his hopes up high.

“Yeah sounds great, mum keeps going on at me because I haven’t got a date for prom and I agree we haven’t had a proper chat in ages. Xxx” Dylan read Brooklyn’s message and hurried his fingers to reply to her.

“Great well I'll walk to yours and then we can decide where we wanna go from there. Xxx” Dylan typed back and before he’d even got a response he had put his shoes on and found his phone and keys and was out of the door.

He walked as fast as he could round the corner and down the road to Brooklyn’s house when he got there he stood in amazement at the sheer size of her house, it was by far the biggest in the village and he couldn’t believe that he actually knew the person who lived in it. He walked up the driveway towards the door but before he reached it Brooklyn stepped out and there was only one thing Dylan noticed: how absolutely drop dead gorgeous she was.