Chapter 9 - The Truth Can Hurt

Chapter 9 – The Truth Can Hurt

As he walked out of school Dylan’s phone beeped again. It was another text, but not from Hanna, who he’d been texting all day. It was from Brooklyn. He read and re-read the text that said: ‘meet me at the park at 4? I need to talk to you.’ He debated whether to reply or not but in the end knew he had to meet her, what if she’d found out about Samson’s stupid plan?

He walked back home alone because Samson had gone to some revision session that Dylan couldn’t be bothered to go to. By the time he was home Dylan had 15 minutes to change before he had to leave to meet Brooklyn at the park. For some reason 15 minutes didn’t seem long enough, so he ran up the stairs when he got in, found his long denim shorts and pulled a grey top with blue lining over his head. He looked in the mirror and reached for his gel. Dylan wasn’t sure why he was making an effort but he was, after spending the most of 15 minutes on his hair he grabbed his keys, phone and iPod and stuffed them in his pocket. He ran back down the stairs and slammed the front door behind him. The two minute walk seemed to take no time at all and soon Dylan was pushing the gate to the park open.

-Brooklyn-

I was sat on the bench in the park when I saw Dylan walking towards me. I stood up and started to walk towards him. When we meet in the middle and both stopped there was a moment of silence before he finally spoke up.

“You wanted to talk to me?” I guessed Dylan didn’t like standing up because he began to walk towards the bench I'd just left. He sat down slowly and so I sat down next to him.

“Yeah I did, earlier you gave Samson a look that he didn’t seem to like. I was just wondering why really?” I knew he probably wouldn’t give me a straight answer and it probably wouldn’t end well but I had to try. After all Samson was my boyfriend now and I had to know what was wrong with him.

“Look brook,” Dylan sat up, turned towards me and reached out to hold my hand. This wasn’t going to be good. “You’re a nice girl you really are and I'm telling you this because I don’t think you deserve to find out after everyone else does,” this definitely wasn’t good. “But before I tell you I want you to know that your friends did that because they love you and they want you to be happy.”

“Yeah, I know that.” This really wasn’t good.

“Well this morning Samson and I were walking to school together when he told me that on Friday before he came up to the library to ask you out, he talked to Hanna. Anyway, it turns out that she had given him £50 to ask you out and she said that she’d give him that again every week as long as you were still going out.” Dylan looked so sad, as if he HAD to tell me but didn’t want to. I defiantly didn’t want to hear that.

“What, no, you’ve got to be lying, yeah, you don’t want Samson to spend all his time with me so you’re trying to split us up, that’s it. Well it’s not working we love each other and nothing you say is gonna change that.” I was so angry I could have hit him. But I have more self control than to do that. I just walked away. Then I felt something wet run down my cheek. I was crying, but why, all he’d said was that he thought Samson didn’t love me and it can’t be true, it just can’t be.