Chapter 8 - A Threat From A Friend

Chapter 8 – A Threat From A Friend

-Samson-

It was really hot so I hung my blazer over my bag as I walked out the door. It was a short hop from my house to Dylan’s and this was one day I was really going to need him. It was the Monday after our date and I wasn’t looking forward to school. I know she would make a fuss and want to be with me; although I don’t normally have much else to do that wasn’t the point. I couldn’t do this on my own for much longer. I had to tell Dylan.

He was already stood outside his house when I got there. This was it I had to tell him.

“Alright mate?” I said as I got close to him, he stood up straight and turned to walk towards the school.

“Yeah thanks you?” Dylan seemed distracted and when his phone went off I knew why. Every so often Dylan would meet a new girl, at a party, at school or just out and about, and he would become obsessed, well it’s not really the right word but he would be constantly taking to or about her. This was his latest girl and to be honest I had more important things to worry about.

“Yeah I’m good. Look Dylan I need to tell you something.” He wasn’t listening and so I had to do something. I snatched the phone straight out of his hand and put it in my pocket.

“Hey I was texting!” Dylan stopped and shouted at me.

“Yes and I was trying to tell you something very important and you weren’t listening.” I started walking with my hand firmly in my pocket. “You can have it back when I finish talking.” I'd finished my rant but Dylan didn’t protest so I carried on. “You know I'm going out with Brooklyn?” He stopped and interrupted me.

“Oh yeah I wanted to ask you about that.” Oh god here we go.

“Well you can ask me later but now I have to finish this.” I thought I was being a bit mean to my best friend but I just really needed to tell him this. “Well, on Friday when you were in the library Hanna came to talk to me. About Brooklyn,” I stumbled my words, I wasn’t sure if I should tell him, but I’d started now so I had to finish. “Basically, she said that Brooklyn really liked me and she wanted her to be happy. So she gave me a £50 note to ask her out and every week we’re going out I get another one.” I rushed to say the last sentence because even though I knew what I was doing was wrong it still made it worse to say it out loud.

“What?!” We weren’t going to get to school at this rate if Dylan kept stopping. “You did what? Oh I can’t believe you I really can’t. What the hell were you thinking?” I could tell that he wanted to walk off but while I had his phone Dylan was going nowhere.

“Well I want the money and Brooklyn wants the relationship, nobody’s getting hurt.” I truly believed that nobody was getting hurt. I was fine and so was Brooklyn that was the only thing that mattered.

“Yeah right now she might but what happens when she works out that you were a little too quick to change your mind? Then she’ll get hurt.” Dylan looked really pissed off, a little too pissed off.

“Yeah you’re right but what can I do now?” I knew what he was going to say but I could do it. I still cared about her, just the way friends care not like that.

“You can tell her that you don’t love her, or I will.” Dylan looked angry. “Phone. NOW!” Dylan started shouting so I reached into my pocket and pulled out his phone. He snatched his phone from my hand and began to walk away towards school. He stopped and turned around. “You’ve got till the next note is due.” He turned around and walked away. I stood stunned for a few moments then realised the time and began running for school.

~*~

Break wasn’t as bad because Brooklyn had dance, lunch was ok but still not what I wanted. We were stood on the edge of the playground on a small patch of grass, with Hanna, Caitlin, Abi, Rachel, Laura a couple of other girls who were Brooklyn’s friends but I can’t remember their names. Billy, Alex, Kyle and Dylan were standing with us too but with my arm around Brooklyn I could feel Dylan’s eyes boring into me.

“Let’s get away from this lot Brook, they’re really beginning to annoy me.” I leant in to whisper into Brooklyn’s ear. She shivered as my breath hit her neck and I felt the smile spread across her face, she really couldn’t be buying this.

“ok.” she giggled. We turned to walk away and as I looked back I knew exactly what look Dylan was pulling. I just couldn’t tell her, not yet at least.

We walked around the school hand in hand until the end of lunch and talked about everything from our pet’s names to how she felt when her parents split up. I definitely felt closer to her when the bell went but I still didn’t like her the way I knew I should. Once we’d reached her tutor Brooklyn and I hugged and went our separate ways. I knew Dylan would pounce on me the second I got through the tutor door, so I braced myself for the worst.

“You haven’t told her yet have you?” Dylan asked as I sat down next to him. It took him till then to pry himself away from the girl on the other end of his phone.

“No I haven’t I just can’t do it.” I slumped back in my chair with a thud and look straight into his eyes, searching for an answer. He wasn’t going to give one up anytime soon though.