Chapter 7 - A Weekend With The Girls

Chapter 7 – A Weekend With The Girls

As she shut the door behind them all Brooklyn finally felt like she belonged. Laura’s sleeping bag and overnight bag were still downstairs and as it looked like she was staying for a week all the girls helped her carry it all up stairs. As they reached Brooklyn’s room at the top of the west staircase Laura stopped and looked around. This was the first time she had been more than ten paces into Brooklyn’s house and she couldn’t believe the size of it.

“You ok Lou?” Brooklyn placed her hand on Laura’s shoulder and made her jump.

“Yeah, I just can’t believe you live here, it’s massive.” Rachel turned around to face Brooklyn, and she looked surprised, almost as if she couldn’t believe this was someone’s home and not a museum, let alone Brooklyn.

“I'll give you a tour later if you want?” Brooklyn smiled. She loved showing off her house, it made her feel like there was at least one thing she could be proud of.

“Yeah ok but not now, I want to set up my bed and things first.” Laura walked around Brooklyn and back into her room.

Brooklyn’s room was huge but it was split by 4 frosted glass fold away doors; there was a large king size bed stood like an island in the middle of the left wing and a dresser with a chest of draws full of make-up and jewellery next to it, there were picture frames everywhere, and everywhere else there were pictures on their own, Brooklyn really had made her room her own.

The girls laid their sleeping bags out one either side of the bed and two at the bottom. The 32 inch flat screen that dominated the wall facing the head of the bed was switched on by a giant remote that controlled everything. The first thing on the TV when it came on was the new music video from 1D. All the girls got up and danced and were still dancing when a red light flashed on above the door.

“Brook, why is that red light flashing? It’s not a smoke alarm is it?” Laura pointed at the light with a worried look on her face. Brooklyn giggled as the fear spread through Rachel, Hanna and Caitlin’s faces too.

“No, no, it’s just my mum calling from the kitchen to tell us dinner’s ready. It just stops her having to shout up the stairs to Dallas and I when we have our TV’s on.” The girls looked relived as Brooklyn turned her TV off and opened the door to let them out.

“Laura where are you going?” Rachel called after her as she was headed down the west stair case. Everybody else was walking along the open landing towards a door in the middle and when she realised this Laura turned around and ran back up the stairs towards them. Brooklyn opened a small door that Laura had assumed was just a cupboard. When she realised what it was a look of shook attacked her face.

“Laura are you alright?” Brooklyn asked as Hanna crawled feet first into the cupboard followed by Caitlin. All Laura managed in reply was a nod so Brooklyn thought she better explain. “When dad rebuilt the house there was a huge laundry chute that we didn’t really need, so he asked Dallas and I what we wanted. Of course us being 5 and 9 at the time decided we wanted something fun. So dad suggested a slide and we loved it so that’s what we got. It leads straight into the den downstairs and we use it when we can’t be bothered to walk down stairs.” Brooklyn smiled as Rachel went next followed by a very confused but too caught up to care, Laura. Brooklyn sat at the top of the slide and closed the cupboard door behind her before she shuffled her bum and slid down into the den where the girls were waiting for her.

~*~

“Are you alright if I go and have a shower now” Brooklyn asked as they walked back up the stairs after having dinner.

“I think we’ll be able to entertain ourselves for a while Brook. Besides now we can talk about you and Samson.” Caitlin said through laughter.

“Ok then but please try not to wreck my room.” Brooklyn stood at the top of the stairs and watched Laura, Caitlin, Hanna and Rachel walk into her room before she turned and headed off the bathroom.

All four girls sat strewn out on Brooklyn’s king sized bed and chatted for a few minutes, the talk was innocent until Hanna asked: “so want does everyone think of Samson?” for a few moments nobody wanted to say anything in case Brooklyn walked in but after realising she was still in the bathroom the chat soon turned to a debate.

“Well I like him.” Laura spoke with a smile in her voice. She was about to continue when she was interrupted by Rachel.

“Laura you like anything with a pulse and a penis.” Everybody laughed and Laura picked up a pillow and threw it straight at Rachel’s head.

“I didn’t mean like that, I just meant he’s being really nice to her and I think they’re really sweet together.” Laura finished.

“Oh right yeah. But I don’t really get it,” Caitlin began. “I mean one second he hates her guts and the next moment he’s going out with her.” Hanna sensed some confusion and although she knew she was doing something wrong, even if it was making Brooklyn happy, she couldn’t tell anyone and risk them telling her. So it had to stay between her and Samson and for now she had to try and defuse suspicion.

“Well people can change their mind cant they?” Hanna asked knowing full well the answer to the question.

“I guess but not that quickly surely. There’s got to be something else going on, there has to be?” Caitlin questioned. But they were cut short in their conversation by the sound of the bedroom door closing. They turned around to see a puzzled Brooklyn standing in a vest top and trackies with a hot pink towel wrapped around her head.

“Something going on with what?” she asked as she walked to the bed. Everybody moved up to let her sit down. She perched on the edge of the bed and lent her head over she unwrapped the towel and began to rub her hair dry.

“Oh nothing we were just talking about the X-factor.” Caitlin quickly covered the conversation and luckily for them, Brooklyn brought it.

“Oh ok.” Brooklyn stood up and walked over to the dresser. She sat down and reached into one of the draws, she pulled out a sliver and pink can and began to spray it’s contents onto her hair. There was a beep and Rachel picked up her phone. She read the screen for a few seconds before jumping up from the bed.

“Brett, Cal and Dylan are outside and they want us to meet them.” Rachel said pulling on her shoes. Brooklyn stood up and walked the two steps to her window. She sat on the large windowsill and pulled up the window. The wind hit her face as she leant out

“Oh Romeo, Romeo wherefore art thou Romeo?” Brooklyn said in silly voice and laughing.

 Dylan looked up and replied: “shall I hear more, or shall I speak at this?” Brett, Cal, Hanna, Rachel, Caitlin and Laura were all extremely confused but Dylan and Brooklyn were in the same drama class at school and they had learnt the words to that scene inside out.

“Hey boys,” all 5 girls now had their heads sticking out the window but Brooklyn and Dylan were still the only ones talking. “We’ll be down in a minute.” She pulled her head back inside and so did the others. They all scrambled to get their shoes on and ran out into the hall and down the slide.