Chapter 11 - All This For £50

Chapter 11 – All This For £50

-Samson-

“How fucking dare you Dylan?” I screamed at him the moment I saw him standing outside his house waiting for me. He was stood so casually like it was just a normal day before this all kicked off. He stood up straight the moment he heard me and the look on his face told me that he already knew exactly what I was talking about. I was just hoping he wouldn’t be stupid enough to try and play dumb.

“She had to know Sam!” he shouted back at me. “She doesn’t deserve to be lied to about something so big. I had to tell her, I thought she already knew and I didn’t want to look like the bad guy in all of this.” How dare he shout at me this was my turn to be angry at him? We’d already started walking because we both knew we couldn’t risk being late for school again, but there wasn’t the usual jokiness there normally was between us.

“Yes, but that was my job, I was supposed to tell her not you. Anyway when did you see her to tell her?” I was really shouting at him now and there were other people from school walking down the same road who kept staring at us. I really wanted to turn round and ask them what they were staring at but I knew it would just cause more of a scene.

“She text me and asked me to meet her in the park to talk to her about something. So I went because I thought that she’d found out and that she wanted to talk about. But when I got there she seemed really calm so I thought I'd tell her myself that way she wouldn’t think I was the bad guy. But she didn’t believe me anyway, got really upset and walked off.” I couldn’t believe he was telling me this.

“So that’s why she text me asking if I could come over and cheer her up, you got me into this in more than one way. If you hadn’t upset her then she never would have invited me over, we never would have gone up to her room, she never would have tried to get on me and I never would have stopped her and told her everything! How could you Dylan?” I was still angry at him but for some reason he was smiling at me.

“She tried to get on you? How the hell did you manage that?” He was laughing a little and I didn’t get it.

“Yeah I turned up in my cadet uniform and she was wearing this crop top thing and some really short shorts and there were candles and music and everything and she like lead my upstairs and into her room- but that’s not the point, the point is that you told her! AFTER you said that I had to tell her.” We were nearly at school and I could tell that this argument wasn’t going to end happily or any time soon if I didn’t do anything so I took the plunge. “Dylan, do me a favour and don’t talk to me for a while. You need to get your priorities straight and then work out what it means to me a friend before you come anywhere near me again.” And with that I walked off towards the school gates. I couldn’t believe that I'd just left my best friend but at the same time I couldn’t believe what he’d done to me.

I walked alone through the school gates and towards my tutor room, every now and then I caught the eye of someone I knew but not someone I'd want to talk to. When I finally got to my tutor room Jesse, Frank and Kyle were already sat down on our table at the back, the room was nearly full but there was no sign of Mr Kean, our tutor. I walked towards the boys and even before I spoke they knew that I was in a foul mood by the look on my face.

“I can’t believe that he did that to me?” I was fuming and I think the boys could tell because they didn’t try and make the annoying jokes about me and Brook that they had yesterday.

“What happened Samson?” Frank piped up.

“Dylan told Brooklyn that I was only going out with her because Hanna gave me 50 quid.”  I could tell the boys hadn’t heard the story yet because they looked even more confused than I did when Hanna first suggested it to me.

“Wait what? You were only going out with her because Hanna gave you money to? That is messed up Sam.” Kyle sat there preaching to me about how messed up what I'd was, as if I didn’t know already that it was totally out of order what I'd done to her.

“Yeah I know it is but I can’t undo the past but that still doesn’t give him the right to tell her what I was doing before I did.” I slammed my hand down on the desk just as Mr Kean walked in.

“I do hope that wasn’t a sign of hatred for this school Mr Jones?” Mr. Kean always did have this cold humour about him that we never quite understood but it made him more interesting than the rest of the so called teachers in the dump.

“No sir, just at being a teenager.” I knew that if I said something like that then there was no way that he could take it the wrong way.

“Ah, yes the most mind numbingly pointless part of life as we know it. Well I understand that, but may I add that breaking your fists on the tables in my classroom will not help your situation. The best things you can do are keeping quiet and waiting for the day you turn 18.” Mr Kean said as he began to write instructions for his next class on the board.

As I sat there listening to him read out all the announcements and handing out letters I couldn’t help but think about how much I'd let Dylan down and how badly I'd treated Brook, which was weird because before now I'd never really cared about her.