Chapter 3 - An Embarrassing Lunch

Chapter 3 – an embarrassing lunch

As she stepped out onto the field the wind hit Brooklyn's face and blew her hair around like she was in one of those cheesy adverts for a hair product of some sort. She strutted down towards the circle of her friends that had already been formed and she would have been a vision of beauty if she hadn't have tripped over thin air and gone flying three feet in the air. It felt like the whole field had turned to point and laugh but in fact it was only her 15 friends, but they did make up the numbers with noise.

"Yes absolutely hilarious, just thank god Samson's still eating his lunch or that could have been embarrassing." she went to sit down but as she did Brooklyn caught her foot on something and went tumbling over. While everybody including Brook were laughing her pathetic imitations of herself falling over Rain noticed something that made her laugh even more.

"Urm, Brook you might want to take a look behind you." she nudged her head towards Brooklyn and Samson standing with his friends not ten meters behind her. They had obviously finished their lunch and were now waiting for Billy to get back with the ball. In the meantime they had sought entertainment by watching Brooklyn relive her fall about 5 times before somebody had the sense to tell her.

"And none of you thought to tell me?" she asked with 'that' tone in her voice. Everyone was laughing now including Brook and Samson but they never made eye contact. After what had happened the day before the tension between them was obvious to anyone around them. Even if, by some miracle someone had been hiding under a rock for the last week and hadn't heard any of the rumours going around, they would still know that something was going on.

Brooklyn and her friends sat about 5 meters form where the boy's were playing football and other than a few stray ball moments there was no interaction. Until it came to the end of lunch, the wind had died down and the sweltering heat had made the girls decision to go into their air conditioned tutor room an easy one. They stood up and brushed the blades of grass off their tights and pulled their skirts down just a little so that they covered their bums but didn't go anywhere near their knees. The boys were still immersed in their game of football and their navy blue blazers and school bags laid out for goal posts. She thought she'd gotten away joke free until she heard her name being called from behind her.

"Brooklyn, Brook, Oi Brook wait up." Samson's voice was unmistakable to Brooklyn but part of her didn't want to turn around because she feared the worst. But after Laura and Lauren had both pointed out that he was calling her name she had to turn around.

"What!" she shouted as she turned around. She wasn't going to move, oh no, if Samson wanted to embarrass her and make her a laughing stock he would have to come to her. She stood strong with her hands on her hips and her legs slightly apart. Her expression said it all and if Samson had run away back to his football game there and then it wouldn't have surprised her.

"Well, I was just wondering if the rumours were true." Samson managed to make himself look so innocent and yet Brooklyn knew what he was capable of and still couldn't seem to stop the feelings that she held inside of her. She took a step forward and removed her hands from her hips and brought them together in front if her, she began to batter her eyelashes and looked up at Samson. They had now managed to do something which normally only the school bell and the arrival of the head master could do, stop a football game. Brooklyn's friends being the noise girls that they were had also stopped and were now grossly intrigued with the business that was about to go down.

"Well, Samson, what do you think?" Brooklyn took another step forward until she was almost on top of him and reached out her hand to straighten up his collar. She turned around as she was waiting for a reply form a stunned Samson to see her friends leaning in towards her and grinning with a sense of pride as if Brooklyn had learnt her flirtatious move from them and not from the film they all went to see at the weekend.

"Urm, I'll take that as a yes then?" Samson was beginning to look uncomfortable but that wouldn't stop Brooklyn, he'd already embarrassed her so now it was her turn to embarrass him.

"Yeah you do that," Brooklyn released her hand from Samson’s blazer and walked back a few steps. "Now run along and get back to your football game." Brook began to walk away until she turned around and saw Samson wander back to the football game and laugh amongst his friends. When she got back to her group of friends everybody wanted to know what was said but Brooklyn wasn't giving anything away, not yet at least. The Questions didn't stop when she got to her tutor room either. Billie was just as inquisitive about what was going on between Brook and Samson. But she was embarrassed enough and definitely wasn't going to tell anyone who didn't already know.