"His mother, his father's here. He's the chancellor at WSU,"

"Ironic then, about the expulsion,"

"Very."

"Your mother's met him?" He asks, curiosity in his brown eyes.

"Yes, she hates him." I frown.

"Hate is a strong word,"

"Trust me, she hates him." The ache from the loss of my relationship with my mother is much less powerful than it used to be.

"She can be a little hard headed, she just worries about you."

"She doesn't need to, I'm fine."

"Let her be the one to come around, you shouldn't have to choose one or the other. Your grandma didn't approve of me either, she's probably scowling at me from her grave as we speak," he smiles.

This is all so strange, sitting in my kitchen with my father, bonding over cereal and coffee after all these years.

"It's just hard because we've always been close, as close as she's capable of at least."

"She always wanted you to be just like her, she made sure of that from a young age. She's not a bad person Tessie, she's just afraid."

"Of what?"

"Everything, she's afraid of losing control. I'm sure seeing you with Hardin terrified her and made her realize she doesn't have control of you anymore."

"Is that why you left? Because she wanted to control everything?" I stare at the empty cup in front of me.

"No, I left because I have my own issues and we weren't good for one another. Don't worry about us, worry about yourself and your troublemaker of a boyfriend," he chuckles.

I can't picture the man in front of me and my mother being able to hold a conversation, they are so different. When I glance at the clock again, it's past eight.

"I need to wake up Hardin, I washed your clothes last night. I'll bring them out with me after I get dressed." I tell him and put my cup in the dishwasher.

Hardin is awake and pulling a black t-shirt over his head when I walk through the bedroom door.

"Maybe you should wear something a little more formal to the meeting?" I suggest.

"Why?"

"Because they are deciding your educational future and a black t-shirt doesn't show much effort on your end. You can change right after but I really think you should dress up."

"Fuccckk," he exaggerates.

I walk past him and into the closet to retrieve his black button up shirt and pants.

"No dress slacks, for the love of god, no."

"It's only for a little while," I hand the clothes to him.

"If I wear this shit and they still kick me out I'll burn that whole campus to the ground."

"You're so dramatic," I roll my eyes at him but he doesn't look amused as he buttons the black dress pants.

"Is our apartment still operating as a homeless shelter?"

I drop the shirt, still on the hanger onto the bed and walk towards the door.

"Damn it, I'm sorry. I'm getting anxious and I can't even fuck you to help with the anxiety because your dad is on our couch." Frantic fingers lace through his hair.

His vulgar words stir my hormones but I remind myself that my father is in the other room. I walk over to Hardin who's long fingers are struggling with the top button on his shirt and gently move his hands out of the way.