Chapter 30 (Final): What Is It That You Really Want?

Start from the beginning

Caroline was puzzled. She had no idea of Klaus's intentions, what was the real reason for him to be there. Caroline figured out that Elijah had told Klaus about her whereabouts so if Elijah thought it was safe, maybe she should trust in his judgement. However, with Klaus you never knew for sure, until it was too late...

”Are you going to kill him?” Caroline said harshly. ”Because if you are, you have to go through me first.” There was no anger or fear in her voice, it was just a clear statement. Inside she was torn between her love for Klaus and her love for the baby.

Klaus felt a cold feeling going down his spine. Even the thought of Caroline's possible death made his heart ache. It was like back then in the Gilbert House, when he had bit her and almost let her die... He would never want to feel that way again.

”I'll promise you that you or the baby will not be harmed by me tonight.” Klaus raised his hands as a gesture of peace. ”I just want to talk.”

Caroline eyed Klaus a long time, trying to have some clue of his motives. He was hiding his feelings pretty well. The baby sniffled drowsily against her chest and she heightened her hearing to figure out where Elijah was. Caroline located Elijah downstairs and he seemed to be conscious, so she had some back up.

”Ok.” Caroline said finally. ”What do you want to talk about?” Even in her wildest dreams Caroline couldn't imagine what Klaus might have to say to her anymore, not after everything.

”May I see him?” Klaus asked politely after a moment of silence, since he couldn't figure out how to start with Caroline. He just wanted to be near her.

Caroline glided to cross-legged position on the bed. She quickly checked the baby and then looked at Klaus nodding as he was allowed to approach. Klaus walked slowly closer and sat on the foot of the bed.

”You're not going to see anything from there.” Caroline chuckled before she even thought. Klaus raised his eyes instantly and Caroline stared right back at them. Silence fell in the room and the air seemed electrified, like they were having a quiet conversation although neither of them really understood what was happening. After a really long time Caroline got out of the trance and cleared her throat.

”I mean, you can come a little closer... to have a better look of him.”

In one slow, smooth movement Klaus was just an inch or two away from Caroline, who flinched out of excitement and being nervous. The baby sensed it and gave out a small sound. Klaus fixated his eyes to the baby and the longer Klaus looked at his son the more mesmerized he became of him. Caroline looked at Klaus instead, seeing the ghange in him. ”Maybe there is a chance for him to grow to love his son.” She thought in her mind.

”Do you want to hold him?” Caroline asked coarsely and bid her lip. She knew that this might risk everything but she had to try.

Klaus tightened and looked Caroline again, a small hint of fear in his eyes which he didn't have time to hide from her. ”Is she trusting me that much?” Klaus thought and noticed how naturally Caroline acted with the baby. Eventually, Klaus gave Caroline a slight nod and she slowly handed the baby over him.

As the baby switched place Caroline's and Klaus's hands touched and Caroline felt like she had a small shock. ”Gosh I miss him.” Caroline thought and felt a lump in her throat.

Klaus held the baby as it was the most fragile thing in the world. The boy jiggled a little, sensing that these arms were different. He opened his eyes and looked straight in Klaus's, not really seeing anything but Klaus saw a glimpse of same shade of eye colour that he himself had. The baby blinked few times and yawned, feeling comfortable enough to fall back to sleep.

”See, he already likes you.” Caroline whispered and hoped that Klaus would find at least some affection in his heart.

Little she knew, since Klaus had already lost his heart to his son. Klaus touched the boy's little palm with his index finger and the boy automatically grabbed on to it.

”You did the right thing.” Klaus said to Caroline while still watching his son. ”Thank you for saving him from me.”

Caroline gasped and mentally collapsed. Tears run down her cheeks and she started sobbing quietly.

”What is it, love?” Klaus freed him other hand and took Caroline's in his.

”It's just... I'm just so glad that you don't hate him.” Caroline spluttered in relief. Even if she had messed up her things with Klaus, the baby would still have his father's affection.

”Caroline...” Klaus squeezed Caroline's hand.

”Yeah?” Caroline wiped her eyes with her other hand.

”I can not say how deeply I feel for you.” Klaus said quietly, his voice shaking. ”You have challenged me and forced me out of my comfort zone. You have been brutally honest with me and made me confront my inner demons. You never let me get away from anything and sometimes it drives me mad.” Klaus sighed. ”I have done terrible things yet you saw something else in me that I never knew was even there. You reached out for it and gave me a chance.” Klaus paused. ”And now I'm asking you for a second chance. I love you Caroline and I'm begging for your forgiveness. If there is even a slightest chance, I'd do whatever it takes to have you back. Because you have my heart Caroline. You and this little fellow here.”

Caroline said nothing but kissed Klaus deeply, passionately, craving. Klaus let her hand go and she cupped his face with her palms while he runned his free hand through her hair. The baby woke up and protested crankily. Klaus and Caroline both chuckled and Klaus rocked the boy gently and he calmed down. Caroline let her head rest against Klaus's shoulder and wrapped her arms around the two most precious persons for her.

”Does that mean you forgive me, love?” Klaus asked softly.

”Only if you forgive me.” Caroline answered looking up to Klaus's eyes.

”There's nothing to forgive, really...” Klaus said and placed a soft kiss on Caroline's lips. Then he looked her in the eyes and caressed her hair. After that he looked down to his son and grinned:

”Does this little fellow have a name yet?”

~ The End ~

So far... ;)