Concrete Angle

(warning gentle topics)

Shawn's POV

(You are both 8)

I ran onto the playground. I was so happy to finally get outside from lunch to recess. I ran around for a minute. Wondering what to do. Searching for friends. That's when I saw Y/N sitting on a bench. She stared at her shoes. Her crisp hair fell around his shoulders. She was my neighbor. And my friend. We always talk through our windows. The thing is she doesn't have anyone else to play with. It makes me sad that I'm the only one she plays with sometimes.

"Y/N," I sat down next to her. She glanced and smiled.

"Hi Shawn," She greeted. I glanced down. I closed my eyes immediately. Then turned back to the conversion.

"Did you see principle Brim's dress today. It had a stain on the back the shape of Texas," I said. She giggled. I smirked. Then we joked about other things. Like Stormy getting scared in lunch today when Tommy put a fake spider in her lunchbox. Sadly recess was over now. And the conversation was over. But we still walked into class together. I heard a couple of the girls in out class whisper things. "Freak" was one of them. Y/N was far from a freak. She was funny and sweet (and cute if you ask me). I kept thinking about Y/N as we sat in class learning about fractions. My mom says not to peek into others business. But I wonder why she always has bruises. Why she only had a mommy. And why her mom was always angry and would yell. But again when I asked my mom said to stay away from the situation I'm not involved in.

***

We were walking home together. Leaves fell from the fall trees.

"I love trees," Y/N said.

"Why?" I asked.

"They are pretty. And they are strong," She smiled.

"They are," I agreed. "Especially fall leaves," I said.

"Cause then you can jump in them if you pile them after they fall," She said. I laughed.

"We will have to do that this weekend!" I exclaimed. We should've done it then.

We got to our houses.

"Be at your window at 6:30," I said. She agreed to the plan and we parted ways. And I was excited for 6:30.

***

7:42 pm.

We have been talking for a hour. It was so much fun. Our houses were only six feet away so it was easy to talk to each other.

That's when her mom burst into the room. I flinched a little. Y/N turned we quickly. She looked scared at her mom. I glanced up at the moon, waiting for her mom to leave, hopefully quickly. Her mom grabbed her arm and pulled her out of the room. The door slammed.

"Well hopefully she comes back fast," I said.

So I waited.

For maybe 15 minutes.

But she didn't appear. I walked downstairs. I went to my living room window and didn't see her living room lights on. Maybe she went to sleep in her moms bed. I stopped doing that years ago but maybe her bed was comfy. Or maybe they were the kitchen making dinner. I do that with my dad and mom sometimes.

"What are you doing Shawn?" My mom asked.

"Just looking. I'm gonna go back to my room to play," I said and ran back to my room.

She still wasn't in her room.

So I waited a little longer more. I didn't hear any voices from their house. So I went back downstairs. I was really worried now.

"Mom," I said.

"Yes sweetie what's wrong?" She asked.

"Can parents hurt their kids?" I asked.

"What do you mean Shawn. Is dad doing anyth-"

"No no no. Never. But Y/N. She comes to school with bruises sometimes. And her mom is usually upset when I see her. But I was talking with her in the window thirty minutes ago and her mom walked in. She yelled and pulled her out the room. I haven't seen her yet. I'm worried is Y/N safe?" I asked. My mom's expression changed.

"Go to my room and watch TV Shawn," she said.

"But mom-"

"Now Shawn," I walked to her room and turned on SpongeBob. Why didn't she answer my question. Maybe she was going to check to see if they were home. I watched some of the show, when I got worried more. And I peeked out of the door.

"Mom can I come out?" I asked. Then when I heard no answer, I walked down the stairs. That's when I see flashing lights. Cops? What's going on? I ran outside. And there was also an ambulance. I saw cops everywhere. And my mom. I ran to her.

"Mommy what's going on?" I asked.

"Shawn," She turned to me. There was tears in her eyes. "I told you to go to my room," She said.

"Why are you sad what's wrong?" I asked looking around. That's when it came together though. And I saw a stretcher being lifted into the ambulance. And then I caught a glimpse of a dress hanging off the side. Y/N. "What is wrong with Y/N!" I yelled.

My mom pulled me to the side a little bit. She knelt down to my level.

"Shawn. Y/N's mommy was drinking bad stuff. Liquor. You remember how Y/N had bruises? Her mommy didn't treat her well. And tonight she hurt her too much. Y/N is gone,"

***
They called her a concrete angle. It was now nine years later. I stood at the tree. Where her grave sat. I remember making sure they burry her by a tree. I remember the funeral. I was so sad. I still do get sad sometimes. Y/N was a amazing friend. She deserved more time in the world. Her mom was in jail for a very long time though which was good. I still missed y/n though. I used to blame myself. Say I should've ran to my mom faster. But I was eight. I didn't knot better. I didn't know people were so mean. But even if Y/N's life got taken too soon. She was now a angle. She was in a much better place. I couldn't think about how much pain she must have endured. But I'm glad she is probably much more happy as a angle. Even if she was one on earth.

A/N

:(((( sorry I had to. I write sad things sometimes..

Anyways hit that vote button if you enjoyed and stay koolsauce my lovely Shawn Mendes lovers