Chapter 23: "Cheers."

Start from the beginning

”It took so long that I couldn't wait.” Klaus defended himself grinning at the same time. He enjoyed the way Caroline looked. ”Shall we?” He extended his arm to her.

”Yes we shall.” Caroline said and put her hand on to his.

–---------------------------------------------------------------

They went to a long walk through the city. Klaus showed Caroline some of the wonders New Orleans hid in itself. By the time of the sunset he took Caroline to the lakeside. They had been acting quite formally towards each other all night long but there was something very sensual about it.

”Beautiful.” Caroline breathed her eyes sparkling from enchantment.

”Not as beautiful as you...” Klaus thought in his mind. Instead he just hold her hand quietly.

The last rays of the sun faded a way and night started to fall. Klaus squeezed Caroline's hand gently and asked her still gazing in to the horizon: ”Shall we continue?”

”What do you have in mind?” Caroline said in a dreamy voice.

”I was just wondering if you'd like to have a drink, love? We could go to my regular place, it's just around the corner.”

Caroline nodded. They walked hand in hand. It took about five minutes of them to get to the bar. They stepped inside and bright voice greeted them:

”Klaus! Long time no see!” Camille waved to them from the desk. Klaus guided Caroline to the desk.

”Good evening, Camille...”

”Cami.” Camille rolled her eyes as usual.

Klaus chuckled and continued: ”I'd like you to meet Caroline." He looked at Caroline adoring. "Caroline, this is my friend Camille, who obviously doesn't want to be called by her real name." Caroline waved her palm as a greeting. Camille was astonished.

”Whaat?” Caroline laughed nervously.

Camille shook her head and gave Caroline a warm smile. ”Sorry. It's just that I've heard quite a lot about you.”

”Oh, well, that's nice...” Caroline looked Klaus extremely suspicious, ”I guess...”

”It's all good! I'm please to finally meet you.” Camille ensured smiling. ”So what are you ordering?”

”Bourbon.” Klaus and Caroline said the same time and then burst in to laughter.

”Why don't you go get us a table. I'll bring the drinks.” Klaus suggested.

”Ok.” Caroline said. ”It was nice to meet you, Camille.. I mean Cami!”

”You see, it's not that hard!” Camille laughed to Klaus. As Caroline went to get the table Camille poked Klaus a little and whispered:

”I'm happy for you.”

Klaus just grinned.

”Although if I were you I'd be joining her like... right now! Jerk alert!” Camille mumbled.

Klaus turned immediately.

Marcel was talking to Caroline, although she seemed like she was not enjoying the conversation. Klaus walk to the table with a serious face on, he didn't want Caroline to have anything to do with that slick little brat. Caroline gave Klaus a relieved look.

”Niklaus!” Marcel called out. ”How come you're here?” He asked like he didn't know that this was Klaus's place. ”Do you know this sweet little songbird, Caroline?”

”Marcel.” Klaus said empathically. ”Actually I do. She is of mine who is just passing by.” He said indifferently, hoping that Caroline would get the hint.

Caroline frowned a little, but then remembered what Elena had said to her. ”Stay away from Marcel.” So she guessed that it would be the best to just act along.

”Yeah,” Caroline nodded, ”I was on my way, when i thought how fun it would be like if i just stopped by here in New Orleans to say hello to my friend Klaus. I'm leaving after tonight.” She ended.

”Oh my!” Marcel shouted theatrically, ”Where are my manners? I'm interrupting the reunion of two friends here. Shame on me! I'm so sorry to hear that you're not staying any longer in my beautiful city. Next time, please let me know that you're here so we can all have a big get-together.” Marcel smiled his cheesiest smile. ”Goodbye ms. Caroline and Niklaus, I'll see you!” The way he made his exit.... It was beyond flamboyant.

”Charming.” Caroline noted.

”Indeed.” Klaus agreed dimly. ”Cheers for that.” He lifted his glass of bourbon and Caroline followed his lead.

”Cheers.” She said and they both drank up their glasses.

”What do you say if we go now, 'friend'” Klaus finally chuckled a little.

”I'll say that it is a great idea, 'friend'”, Caroline answered playing along.

”Luckily you're more than just a pretty face. That was quite convincing.”

”Well thanks.” Caroline smiled. ”Maybe I make my career in acting business.” She pondered. ”Or politics.” She giggled.

The two of them headed back to Klaus's place since they thought that would be best thing to do. Marcel might have put some stalkers lurking around, and well.. Klaus and Caroline also wanted to spend some quality time together. Once the front door was shut, they were kissing like maniacs. All that previous formal behaviour was completely gone. They stumpled in the living room not having a clue that they had a guest. Soon they heard someone clearing his throat.

”Sorry to interrupt your...hmm... but it's an emergency.” Elijah said severely. ”It's about Hayley.”