Book 2 - July 2008

Anjali

The move had gone smoothly. The hired movers had come to our place and packed up everything immaculately. Then another set of movers had unpacked everything in London. I'd gone from one perfect home to another. I sat on the exquisite coach our designer had picked out and looked around. And then I picked up my half of the heart key chain and rubbed it in my hand. I replayed my last meeting with Alex in my mind over and over again. I felt like I was mourning the death of someone. They say there are seven steps for grieving: shock, denial, anger, bargaining, guilt, depression, and then acceptance.

I'd experienced everything so far and depending on the day I could change my mood from one emotion to another. Acceptance never stayed long though. Today I just felt depressed.

I saw my iTouch and the email icon telling me I had fifty unread emails. I picked up the phone out of boredom and opened my email. I scanned the fifty unread emails quickly looking for something interesting. I was looking for Alex' name but I knew there would be nothing from him and that made me even more depressed. I had six hours before the kids would be home from school. Reading all fifty emails would at least take me an hour.

I scanned the emails again to see what would be most interesting to read first. On the first glance I'd missed seeing an email from Gregg. I went down to his email sent over twelve hours ago and clicked it open.

Hi Anjali!

I hope you're doing well and you're adjusting nicely in London. It's a wonderful city and I'm sure you'll find endless ways to entertain yourself. Tell your husband to take a break once in a while and take you out and slow down so I can catch up with him.

The real reason I'm writing you is that I wanted you to know I'm selling the Hampton house. Callie and I are getting a divorce. Seems she's been cheating on me. Funnily the day you came over she was with her lover. Now, don't feel sorry for me. Or maybe you're not feeling sorry and instead you think it's my karma. I cheated on Alison with Callie and now she's cheated on me. But, I think its actually God looking out for me. I should be feeling hurt, but I'm not. I'm relieved she's not going to be my headache anymore. And you should be relieved to know that this beautiful house isn't going to be destroyed.

If any of your friends here are looking for a second home I'd love for you to let them know about the place. I'm in a hurry to get rid of it given the divorce.

Anyway, I hope you're enjoying yourself. Plus, I'm still waiting for you to tell me what's the one thing you want that you don't have. Eventually, you'll tell me. J

Take care,

Gregg

I reread the email again. Another marriage where someone cheated. I held my keychain in my hand and I opened and closed my fist. I began bargaining with myself to get out of the house. Getting outside is a good anecdote for depression. I got up to go get my purse.

I opened my purse and placed my keychain in a small hidden pocket away from any prying eyes. As I dug through my purse I found a business card. It was for a non-profit focused on helping the homeless of London. Raj wanted me to sit on their board. He thought sitting on a non-profit board would be a good way for me to meet people in London and make friends. On the back of the card was a list of the soup kitchens they ran in London.

I went upstairs and stripped off my Donna Karan blouse and slipped off my Versace pants. I walked to the back of my closet and pulled out my Lucky jeans and my hoodie and slipped into them and dug out my tennis shoes. Today would be the second time I was wearing this outfit. The first time had been to meet Alex in a hotel. I sunk into the hoodie and grabbed a few things from my purse and shoved them into my pockets and walked out the door.