Book 2 - May 2007

Sorry it's taken me so long to update the book.  I really want to finish the book sooner than later but life has gotten in the way.  I hope you're still enjoying it and I look forward to everyone's feedback.

Alex

My heart was racing as I neared the library doors. I had only seen Anjali in passing since I'd been to her place last week. I'd skipped swimming class and just dropped off and picked up the kids rather than stay for class. I was too embarrassed to face her. I was equally afraid that she might no longer want anything to do with me. I couldn't bear not seeing her.

I took a deep breath as I entered the library.

I walked over to where Anjali was shelving books.

"Good morning," I greeted her.

"Hi, good morning Alex. How are you?" she cheerfully asked.

I was so relieved to see her smiling face. She greeted me like any other day at the library.

"I'm good. What are we conquering today?"

Anjali laughed her beautiful laugh, "I have fiction and you have to file the science fiction section," she said as she pointed over to three rolling racks of books.

I looked at her questioningly.

"The six graders had to do a book report on a science fiction novel."

"So you saved the science fiction for me," I teased.

"I figured it was more up your alley," she smiled back.

"Do I look that geeky to you?" I asked jokingly as I walked over to the sci-fi books.

"I'm going to plead the fifth on that," she teased back.

For the next couple of hours we filed away the books rhythmically. I kept looking over at her to see if I had misread the signs. She shelved away the books like she did every week. Her long hair constantly falling in her face and out of habit her tucking her hair behind her ear as she bent down to shelve the books. Even though she acted like nothing happened, I didn't trust what I was seeing.

She caught me looking at her. I smiled and she smiled back. "You better get to work, or you'll be here all day," she teased.

A half hour later as we finished up, I asked, "Do you want to grab lunch?"

"I'll take a rain check."

"Oh," I say searching her face for clues. Maybe everything wasn't all right and she was upset with my almost kiss from last week.

"I have a doctors appointment."

"Is everything okay?" I ask, my insecurity replaced with concern.

"Just a routine visit," she smiled.

"Okay. Maybe we can grab lunch another day."

"Yeah, sure," she said as we were walking out of the library.

"Are you sure everything's okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm sure. It's just a normal doctor's visit. I better rush though or I'll be late. I'll see you later Alex," she said and then hurried towards her car.

Anjali

I kissed my kids goodbye and started to head back towards my car when I saw Alex.