Chapter 12: Cracks Of A Heart

Start from the beginning

Caroline rubbed her temples and saw Elena doing the exact same. She grinned to her and then gathered herself up to get some water.

”You want some?” Caroline asked coarsely.

”Yes, PLEASE.” Elena groaned.

Caroline handed Elena a glass of water and sat next to Elena on her bed. They drank their glasses empty and then Caroline asked:

”What now?”

”What do you mean?”

”What are we going to do next?”

”I think I'll call Damon. And Jeremy.”

”Oh.”

”Don't you want to call Tyler? Or your mom?”

”Mom, yeah. Tyler... I don't know what to say.”

”Caroline.. You know that I'm here for you if you want to talk.”

”I know.”

Caroline hugged Elena firmly. Caroline suddenly felt that she was going to burst in tears.

”Hush, it's okay...” Elena comforted her. ”It's okay.”

”No it's not okay!” Caroline cried. ”I don't know what's happening! Everything is fine but on the other hand, it isn't. Why?! Why does it have to be like that?!”

Elena tilted her head to the side as to express she didn't quite understand.

”It's like,” Caroline sobbed and let it all out, ” I finally got him back but now it seems like we don't work anymore. And is so unfair regarding to what we have been through!”

Elena patted Caroline's upper arm.

”First was this 'natural' enemies thing”, Caroline made a face, ”but we got through that. Then we were about to died in Klaus's freaky ritual.” Caroline complained about.

Then she remembered that Elena had died in that ritual the first time and felt embarrased.

”Elena, I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking..” Caroline cried apologizing.

”It's fine.” Elena said softly. ”Let it all out. It makes you feel better, I'm sure of it.”

”Ok.” Caroline whispered between the sobs. ”We started dating but Tyler's mom dissapproved me, and after finding out I was a vampire she shot me with vervain darts and got my own dad to torture me.” She sobbed.

”Li-like that wasn't enough,” Caroline continued, ”The next pro-problem came up when K-klaus came back and turned Tyler into a hybrid. Then came the sire bond thing which was totally freaky. Like he was turning into to that old arrogant Tyler. Because of the sire bond he bit me, but Klaus saved me and then he started for some reason fancy me.” Caroline sighed and tried to calm herself down. ”Which obviously made Tyler feel threatened by.” She cried out.

Elena held Caroline tightly and let her weep.

”Tyler had to go to bre-break the sire bond before we could be together again.” Caroline sobbed quietly. ”And when he came back we had to pretend that he was still sired. After Klaus's desiccation we thought that we could continue our lives in peace, but that obviously wasn't possible. Alaric became to a supervampire-vampirehunter and we thought he killed Klaus and Tyler along with him. Luckily they didn't die after all.”

Caroline fell in silence. Her tears had dried up when she continued as she was in some kind of a trance:

”Klaus had jumped in Tyler's body and took advantage of it although he saved me.. Tyler wasn't happy about it. Then came the hunter guy who was pain in the ass and you killed him.” She said to Elena. ”Klaus sacrificed one of his hybrids to be killed by Jeremy, so you could be freed from 'The Hunter's Curse'. Tyler dissapproved that. He was his friend...”

”All that time we had to pretend that we were no longer together. That Tyler had cheated on me with Hayley.”

”Tyler just wanted to get rid of Klaus.” Caroline breathed. ”He got so obsessed about it. While Klaus was trapped in your house after Kol's death, Tyler was there all the time, mocking him and pissing him off. Klaus lashed out, bit me, saved me and threatened to kill Tyler and I had to beg him for letting him live. Still Tyler had to run. He came back for the prom night and but left again.. All the time I had to fear that I might lose him forever.”

”After Klaus let Tyler come back, I thought everything was perfect. But now it seems like our relationship doesn't work in normal life. Only in ultimate crisis.” Caroline cracked in the end and it was like waterfalls coming out in her eyes.

Elena swayed herself and Caroline slowly and hugged her tightly. Caroline felt like she was completely empty as she had let it all out.

”Do you love him?” Elena asked quietly.

”Yeah.” Caroline whispered feebly.

”But you aren't in love with him anymore, are you?”

”No. I'm not.”