1.4.2. Icy Hot (Keauna/Khia)

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Chapter 2

§ I¢y Hσt §

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄

Ice crystals appeared and began encasing both Keaira and Keauna, who growled in frustration. She attempted to ignite something or to get a fire started. Flames sprung up from her fingertips and she regained control of her once frozen body.

“Come on, Keaira. The wave is about to hit us!”

Keaira, who had also freed herself, nodded. Time was ticking away and this was a matter of life or death. The two sisters ran barefoot through the moist sand.

A black-clad figure stood at the edge of the cliff as her aquamarine eyes surveyed the commotion below. Her targets were easy to spot. Keauna had reddish orange hair, while Keaira’s was more of an auburn color. Way different than her own wavy cerulean hair. She gritted her teeth when they escaped her ice crystals, so she pushed the wave as fast as it would go.

Her ear pierce crackled to life and a cool, angry voice blared out.

“Khia, have you killed those insolent children yet?”

Khia imitated static noises and said, “Sorry, sir. There seems to be a malfunction with comms. Perhaps you should get that checked out.”

“Don’t play around with me, Khia. Answer the question. Now.”

“I’m in position, ready for the operation. How about this: you double my pay and I’ll get it done quicker.”

Right about now, her boss’s face would be contorted into a sneer. She cringed when he started snapping at her.

“How dare you ask me for more. I’ve already paid you five hundred grand in advance, but that’s not the point. I saved you and raised you: from rags to riches. You owe me many favors and you should be honored.”

“Fine. I’m sure you’re just using me, but I don’t give a damn. It’s all for the money,” Khia said scathingly.

“Now, now, darling. Don’t say that; you’re not disposable. You are one of the few people that I actually trust my life with,” her boss reassured.

Khia bit the bottom of her lip to prevent the volley of hateful words that were sure to come. What had she gotten herself into? From day one of her life, she had been a problem child. Throughout her early years, she had to fend for herself because nobody was there for her. Khia’s parents constantly bickered and eventually separated. They gave Khia up for adoption and never saw her again. She first met Him at the Caring Hearts Orphanage, which was definitely a misnomer for the place. As a matter of fact, it was not an orphanage that met the expectations of people providing lovely homes for the children.

She had never been happy in any of the foster homes; her longest stay had been eight months and eight days, but her disruptive behavior had gotten her sent back. Khia was twelve when He arrived, wanting to take Khia home. The orphanage staff was quite surprised. Usually, people who adopted were couples and wanted little kids, not some preteen. They handed her over with no protests. He had been extremely nice and told Khia that she was special. Khia, for once, had felt loved. That’s how she got here, eight years later. A twenty-year-old woman working for the same man who had took her under his wing.

Pushing back old memories, she focused on the wave that was almost upon Keaira and Keauna.

Keauna looked back in horror when she felt the wave grabbing at her ankles. The water became a raging torrent as it swept the two sisters away. Both of their screams were muffled as they sank into the murky depths below. Their powers were useless because a fire can’t be started underwater. Too bad they didn’t know how to swim; being in the water was one of their greatest fears. Keauna fought her way near the top; so close, yet so far. A group of bubbles escaped. Her body relaxed. She closed her eyes and knew nothing more.