Returning To School

{} "It's like you're allergic to your medication, meant to make you better but It makes you worse." {}

{56} The next morning early in the day we went to the clinic where Philip was at the moment and waited in the waiting room for him. Sebastian sneaked his hand into mine and gave it a squeeze as we waited impatiently. "Rebekah Arden?" I stood up when they called my name and walked toward Philip's office with Sebastian.

"Glad to see you two." Philip stood up as we entered and greeted us both. "Take a seat." He mentioned the two seats before his desk and we sat on them. "I heard from your mother Sebastian what happened and I'm so sorry to hear that."

"They moved, I don't know why but they did. We wanted to check and see if they were okay." Sebastian told Philip and he nodded his head understandingly and stood up. "There is something wrong going on and we need to know what it is."

"Okay, we firstly have to see if they're fine and then I'm going to focus on their heartbeats to see where the problem is. You're right, it's not normal for a doctor not to hear a heartbeat so something is definitely wrong." He slipped on his gloves and turned to look at me. "Come and lie on the bed please."

I stood up from the chair and walked toward him, standing on the step before sitting on the bed with Sebastian's help and lied down. I raised my shirt and held it in my hands as Philip grabbed the transducer from the machine.

Philip squirted the gel on my stomach and put the transducer on it, moving it around and soon enough steady heartbeats filled the room. I used my elbows for support to look at the machine. "Is everything okay Philip?"

Philip didn't respond, he just moved the transducer around as he listened carefully, time to time turn up the volume to hear the heartbeats better. "They have the right size, they're both growing up perfectly but there is something wrong with the heartbeats. One of them has an ASD. An ASD is Atrial septal defect better known as hole in the heart."

Philip took a picture of the heart and clicked on the machine to make the heart bigger, rolling his finger where the hole was. "It's not quiet big so it can heal within the years. I give it two to three years maximum." I turned to look at Sebastian with relief as I turned back to look at Philip. 

"But." I didn't expect the but and it made everything harder for me. "The other one has Cardiac Arrhythmia, that means that the heart is irregular. Sometimes too slow or too fast, it can have serious complications like a stroke heart failure or a cardiac arrest."

"The symptoms could be palpitations, dizziness, fainting, shortness of breath and chest discomfort, it's important that you know the signal of this disease. It can lead to serious damage if not treated soon." I turned to the side and flung my arms around Sebastian's neck, my hands squeezing his neck as I cried out and leaned my head on his shoulder while he ran his hand up and down my back.

"It can even lead to a heart transplant, and it's not easy to find one. So we have to be prepared if things go wrong. I need you guys to fill a form to put the baby on the waiting list for a heart transplant as soon as possible." Waiting list? He shushed me as he swayed our bodies side to side and ran his hands down my hair. "It could take years to find a heart that is compatible with you baby and seeing that the baby is not born yet we have plenty of time to find a heart for when the time comes, our list is pretty long."

"I'll give you two some moment alone." Philip said as he put the transducer back on the machine and took his gloves off, washing his hands before making his way out of his office. I hugged Sebastian tighter and sobbed louder in his arms, my chest twisting in pain.

Later....

We drove back to the house in complete and utterly silence, no one said a word and just stayed in our own world. Sebastian parked the car in front of his house and I took my seatbelt off, opening the door to get out. I pushed myself out of the car and closed the door behind me, Sebastian rounded his car to pull me toward him as we made our way toward the front door.