Flashback: CAPRICORN (5)

Disclaimer: *All flashbacks are written in 3rd person*

FLASH = Time Skip

*...A few hours after lunch*

The warm sunlight filtered through the classroom windows, casting a soft, golden glow over the group of Air signs as they sat together. Libra couldn't help but steal furtive glances at Capricorn, her heart fluttering every time their eyes met.

"Sorry, I can't go to your place today," Capricorn says, his eyes flicking briefly towards the white-haired beauty.

Aquarius's lips curved into a frown, her brow furrowing with the slightest hint of disappointment. "That's a shame," she murmured.

"Yeah, I'll be too busy having 'family' dinner," Capricorn chuckled as he bent his fingers in exaggerated air quotes.

Aquarius's laughter bubbled forth, but it was Libra who interjected as she reached out to grasp Capricorn's hand. "Creepy," she teased, interlocking their fingers, and reaching for her drink to quench her thirst. "We should walk home together then. I miss my walking buddy."

Capricorn's expression softened, an apologetic smile spreading across his lips as he gazed down at Libra. "I'm leaving school early today, so I can't, I'm sorry," he murmured, as his thumb caressed the soft skin of Libra's hand.

Libra's brows arched in surprise. "All this for dinner?" she asked, her hand tightening ever-so-slightly around his. "What's the occasion?"

Capricorn shrugged nonchalantly, his free hand reaching up to tousle his blue locks. "It's my birthday," he admitted, a sheepish grin tugging at the corners of his mouth.

The air signs collectively gasp, displaying their disbelief. "What?" they exclaimed in unison, causing Capricorn to flinch slightly at the volume.

Raising his hands in a placating gesture, Capricorn chuckled. "I didn't tell any of you because I knew you'd try to spoil me with expensive gifts I don't need," he explained, his gaze drifting back to Libra, a private smile tugging at his lips. "Besides, Libby's already given me the best birthday gift."

Gemini's brow furrowed in confusion, "What?" she asked.

Capricorn merely grinned, his fingers reluctantly untangling from Libra's as he turned to leave. "Thanks to her, I've got a duel with Rank 2," he announced, a hint of excitement in his voice. "Which reminds me, I should be going to the arena now."

"Good luck," Aquarius called out as Capricorn flashed her a warm smile before disappearing through the double doors.

The girls watched in silence as Capricorn made his exit, the door swinging shut behind him. Gemini turned to Libra, a sly smirk playing on her lips. "When are you gonna tell him you like him?" she asked, nudging her friend playfully.

Aquarius's ears perked up at Gemini's question as her world began crumbling around her and the pieces of their previous conversation suddenly clicked into place.

"I don't know..." Libra trailed off, a faint blush coloring her cheeks. "Maybe after finals, when he's not so stressed out."

"The guy you were talking about..." Aquarius trailed off, her brow furrowed in confusion as her gaze darted between Libra and Gemini. "Is Capricorn?"

Libra nodded, her expression shifting to one of bemusement. "Yeah? You know this already, Aqua," she replied.

The revelation hit Aquarius like a sucker punch, her eyes widened, completely frozen in horror as the air rushed from her lungs. Her heart hammered in her chest, the steady rhythm suddenly erratic and out of sync. Tears stung at the corners of her eyes, her vision blurring as she fought to hold them back and her fingers trembling as she stared down at her hands.