CHAPTER 49 The Green Stone

ROYAL PALACE, FRANCE

The chamber was long, dark and looked as if built hundreds of years ago. Guards were stationed not far than 10 metres from each other dressed in blue coats, red piped white cuffs, white piped red labels with blue piped red cuff flaps, red epaulettes and brass buttons. Their arms were stationed heavily and their eyes focused on the huge beast-like man tied with ropes under the dim fading lamp. Rapid footsteps echoed in the chamber , King Phillip with his guards were nearing towards the man- Lord Harrington. His broad shoulders stretched the limits of his tattered shirt. Thick, unkempt hair cascaded down his back, framing a weathered face with a strong jawline and piercing, determined eyes. Despite his current predicament, there was an air of defiance and nobleness that emanated from him. The air thickened as King Phillip sat on his royal chair opposite to lord harrington.

"Why are you being a menace, Harrington?" he continued. "what will you get by being silent? I myself had to come to you for answers."

Harrington remained silent, his gaze fixed on the pale table. Harrington's silence seemed to unnerve King Phillip, who leaned forward, his voice filled with a mix of curiosity and frustration. "You were once a trusted advisor, Harrington. What changed? What could possibly drive a man of your stature to such an act of betrayal?"

As the tension hung thick in the chamber, Lord Harrington finally lifted his gaze to meet the king's eyes. His expression was stoic, revealing little of the turmoil within.

"What changed, Your Majesty?" Harrington's voice was low and measured, carrying the weight of years of loyalty and disillusionment. "What changed is that I finally saw the truth behind the facade of this kingdom. I saw the injustices, the corruption, and the lies that you perpetuate to maintain your grip on power."

King Phillip's brows furrowed in disbelief, his grip tightening on the armrests of his throne. "You dare accuse me of corruption? Of lies?"

Harrington's gaze didn't waver. "I dare, Your Majesty, because it's the truth. You promised prosperity and justice for all, but what have you delivered? Fear, oppression, and a kingdom on the brink of collapse. You've said to everyone that you'll bring the princess back for the wellbeing of the country! But the truth is that you want her just because of the curse. Once she uncovers the greatest secret of the Callopes, you will kill her! "

The King's face hardened. "You have overstepped your boundaries, Harrington. I will not stand by your accusations. Why would i kill the only heir of our great lineage?"
Lord Harrington's voice remained steady, his eyes locked on the king's. "You know exactly why you would kill her, Your Majesty. You don't consider her a real callope, and after you're done knowing the secret, you will kill her and take over the throne completely." A flicker of uncertainty passed over King Phillip's face before he masked it with anger. "Enough of your nonsense, Harrington. Tell me who you contacted, where the princess is hiding, and perhaps I will spare you from a more severe punishment."

But Harrington remained defiant. "I have no allegiance to you anymore, Your Majesty. And as for the princess's whereabouts, even if I knew, I would never betray her to you. She represents hope for our kingdom, a chance to break free from your tyranny." Enraged by Harrington's defiance, King Phillip roared, "Take him away! Send him to the darkest dungeon, and let him rot there until he sees the error of his ways." The king's guards quickly dragged Harrington away, leaving the king standing alone, fuming and furious. He knew that he would never get to know about the princess from Harrington. He had no alive family left or any other close relative with whom he could threaten him. As he reached his room after confronting Harrington, there was a thud on his room's door.