CHAPTER 33 The Truth

" On November 25, I was invited to a royal ball in Austria. It was less a ball but more of a meeting to select the groom for Austria's princess Mary. I had no interest in it and didn't want to go. However, I was forced to because our relationship with Austria was very favorable and they didn't want strain. I thought it would be the most miserable trip of my life, however it turned out to be my most memorable , because that was the first time I saw your mother Kaylein , dressed in a blue gown. Her golden blonde hair was tied up in a bun and she had captivating blue eyes. She had a slender figure and her graceful posture made her stand out from the rest of the guests.

She was the prettiest woman I'd ever known. I felt my heart skip a beat as she walked in, and I was mesmerized by her beauty. She was best friends with Mary , my childhood friend and the Austrian princess , the belle of the ball. She was just my friend. I never felt love for her. But what I experienced for Kaylein in an instant was very different. I was struck by a powerful connection with her, as if it was fate. She was the first woman who made me feel this way. When it was my turn to meet Mary we just had a conversation like old friends, nothing different. What was different was that my gaze never left Kaylein. Wherever she moved my eyes followed her, admiring her. Mary introduced me to her and that was our first conversation. After the ball, we also talked to each other through letters, or at mutual events. Our bond grew stronger. It was when I visited the kingdom of Callopes then Matva when I proposed her for dating which was unique in those days. We dated for more than a year when I told my family about her and asked them to send an official proposal for a wedding to the Callopes but they refused because the Callopes were known to be a brutal dynasty and no one really wanted to keep relations with them. But I loved her and couldn't see myself with anyone else. I left the kingdom and stayed with her in one of our small territories in north eastern Europe. This was after my repeated efforts to convince them.

They searched for me and then after three months called me with false news of my mother's health. I fell for their trick and left for Scotland. I wanted to take Kaylein with me but it wouldn't have been safe for her there. I made all safety arrangements for her before I left. I promised her to return after a few days but I didn't know what plan they had for me." He swallowed hard and continued

" When I demanded to return back to my love, they threatened me and said Kaylein was under arrest. They would kill her if I didn't do as they instructed. I was forced to marry Mary, who preferred someone else. I could never forgive myself if something happened to Kaylein. I had to do what they said, even if that meant sacrificing my own happiness. And then I could never get back to her, partially in regret and partially because I feared they would kill her. I sent my people there to ensure her safety but they couldn't find her. Neither did I know she was still waiting for me nor did I know you were growing in her womb James." He sobbed.

"But even in my darkest moments, I never stopped loving Kaylein. I always hoped I would find her and tell her how much she meant to me."

He looked up, tears streaming down his face. "I'm so sorry it took me so long," he whispered. "I let her go but I won't let you go again James." He grasped his hand tightly, making him sit beside him on his bed. James stiffened, not knowing what to do. He had been hurt by his father's absence for so long, but he could see the sorrow in his father's eyes. He wanted to believe each and every word his father was telling him, but something was holding him back.

"If you really loved her dad, why did you treat her like a slave here when we returned?" His father looked away, unable to meet his son's gaze. A single tear trickled down his cheek, and he finally spoke. "It was the only way I knew how to show her how much I loved her," he said, his voice barely a whisper.

"Well, it was certainly a unique way of showing it!" James sighed.

" understand James...please son, I cursed myself every time I saw her being treated the way she never deserved. However, I could do nothing. If anyone knew about her or that she was from the Callopes they would have killed her. At that time the Callopes grew dramatically they even acquired France and were our enemies. That was the only way son... I was waiting for the right time."

In a sarcastic chuckle, James said, "It is strange that a king couldn't protect his queen, how do you protect the kingdom?". the king turned away, saying nothing.

James tipped his head back looking at the lavish ceiling of the kings room , he knew he could not control himself anymore. He closed his eyes , flashes of blood, his mother laying dead and the knife in his father's hand smashed into his head. " why did you kill her Dad ?"

He turned to him immediately with a surprised expression " what ? You still believe I killed her?Really ? "
James felt a surge of anger rise inside him and leaned closer to his father. "You know you did it, don't deny it!" His father shook his head, a sad expression on his face. "It wasn't me, son. I swear it."

James stared at his father incredulously. "How can you expect me to believe you? I saw you that night!"
His father sighed. "I know. But I'm telling you the truth."

The look on James' face indicated that he needed an explanation. And his father gave him. " As usual, I went to meet her secretly, but when I reached her room I saw her lying dead... a knife inside her. I took it out and that was the moment you came in, I was shocked, blank what to say or do everything felt like an awful dream, I couldn't explain to you that."

James stood, looking away from his father. His heart raced as he tried to process his father's words. Had he been wrong all along?

" I tried to tell you a lot of times after things were returning back to their places but you didn't believe me and were in a deep trauma and then you suddenly left one day. I didn't know was it because of your assumption about me killing her or because I wanted to give you what you deserved , a prince title. " his eyes were filled with sorrow " I know it was wrong to introduce you as mine and Mary's child when you were mine and Kaylein's but I was unsuccessful in giving Kaylein her right and was in deep regret . I didn't want you to lose what you deserved James. I'm sorry for all the pain I caused you." He whispered, tears streaming down his face. "I should have been honest with you from the start."

James said nothing. He just left the room. His father sat on the bed crying his heart out. The pain of years was finally released. He looked at the door, wishing he could take back all the years of lies. He knew that it would be impossible, and he had to accept that he had lost his son's trust forever. He wept until there were no more tears left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please vote for the story if you are really liking it....

Sorry for delay in uploading chapters but will try my best to upload them just when I get some time 🥺