CHAPTER 28 Successful

" What is it Adverd !!"

" it has a time limit , the cameras can only be turned off once in 24 hours and that for no more than 30 minutes. They will automatically turn back on after the limit."

James moved his hand over his hair in deep contemplation.

" Can we change the time limit?" asked Grace.

" No, there is no option to change it." replied Adverd.

" We have to complete it in 30 minutes only "

James said and set a timer on his watch.

" Adverd turn the cameras off." James continued " Grace we have to leave " She nodded.

he grabbed her hand.

"Okay turning it off, 1,2,3," replied Adverd.

James and Grace ran straight towards the staircase and reached the first floor. But as they were moving in the hallway they saw a guard. They immediately hid behind the corner wall.

In the hallway, the guard was still there, drinking water from the kitchen on the first floor. James glanced down the hallway. Grace stood against the wall and James covered her.

"He is still there," said James as he turned back to Grace. As he looked straight into her eyes, his heart skipped a beat. She was tensed and nervous.

Suddenly James leaned forward and kissed her softly on the lips. Her eyes widened. He could feel her trembling and he held her hands to reassure her.

She felt a wave of calmness flow over her body and blushed " you are a true opportunist! "

"No, I'm just a romantic at heart!" He let out a chuckle and whispered, "Well, when opportunity knocks, I'll answer!"

She smiled at his words. James peeped back into the hallway; he saw the guard going back to his room.

" He is heading back."

When their way was clear, they continued their journey and they finally reached the room .

" Room 14 " James looked at Grace and gestured to her to enter.

They entered and found Laurent sleeping. James turned on the lamp and walked towards his bed. He placed two chairs near the bed and both of them sat there. He tried to wake him up.

"Uncle!"

"Wake up, it's me, James," he said as he stood up.

He did not wake up despite continuous attempts; as James checked his heartbeat, his eyes widened and sweat flew through his body. He stumbled back, feeling like the air had been knocked out of him.

Grace feared of what might have happened, " what happened, James ? Is he alright ?"

James took a few seconds to reply

" He....i.s Dea.d !!"

" Whatt !"

James couldn't believe what he saw but it was right in front of him. He had no words to express his shock and confusion. He just stood there, frozen in disbelief. His mind raced, trying to make sense of what he was seeing. He felt a wave of emotions wash over him - confusion, shock, disbelief, and fear. He knew he had to act fast, but he was too stunned to move.

Grace reached out to him and put her hand around his shoulder to console him. She made him sit. Slowly, he began to process the scene before him. He had to take action, and he knew he had to do it fast. He took a deep breath and steeled himself for what was to come. He gathered his strength and stood up, ready to face the challenges ahead. He was determined to find a solution and make things right. This time he won't have to deal with the loss of someone dear alone, he had Grace by his side.