CHAPTER 32 Betrayal

James' P.O.V

The door opened slowly, revealing a figure silhouetted in the palace hall. My heart raced as I realized who it was. Dad... He stepped outside, and I saw his face for the first time in years. His eyes were filled with sadness, but they had a hint of warmth. He opened his arms. Despite all the pain he had caused me, all the times he had hurt me, all the years of hate and resentment, I found myself running into his arms.

"My son! I knew it..I believed you would come back... " He was overwhelmed with emotions and kissed my forehead. Only I knew how much resistance and pain it took to pull away, but I couldn't help. I had missed his love my whole life but the pain he caused me and my mom was buried in my heart and nothing could fill those gaps.

With a lot of hesitation I said " Good afternoon.... Your majesty" these words were the only ones that made through my mouth. I looked at him, and saw how the smile of his face faded. He opened his mouth but shut it as he searched for the right words to say.

" Come inside James." He opened the door further and gestured for me to enter. I could see the hurt he felt in his eyes. I walked in slowly, feeling the weight of the silence. He closed the door behind us, and I knew I had to find the right words to explain myself. All the rehearsals I did on my way here about beginning the conversation with him seemed useless. We proceeded to his room where we could be alone, while everyone looked at us as we moved through the hallway to the upper floors. He looked at me, his gaze heavy with emotion. He waited for a few moments, then sat down on the bed. I followed him and sat on the couch in front of the bed.

"Where have you been all these years, James? I've been here, waiting," he said quietly. I could see the pain in his eyes, and I knew I had hurt him. He leaned forward, his eyes locked on mine.

I took a deep breath. No hiding, no lies

" New York".

" New York.... " He hummed.

I sighed "Don't act like you didn't know I was there."

Yes, he was aware that I was there, and I knew he had been helping and paying for my course fees all along. My university authorities always told me I got a scholarship. However, it wasn't until my last semester that I learned that he was paying for it.

It somehow made me angry at that moment yet there was something soothing about it, something I can't explain.

He didn't say anything, but the silence.. it was something that could say anything even without words and that was so in its purest form.

" Well, how have you been doing James?" He switched the topic.

Oh god, I knew this father - son convo would break my heart into pieces.

I decided to move with the flow.

" I am fine, how have you been, sir?"

His eyes flinched. " If this is a question to a king, I am fine; however, if this is for a father then No , I am not fine , I haven't been happy since my charming, kind , young boy left me alone here."

His words hit like a knife in my heart. No James , don't melt for his fake care, he was the one who left you , he was the one who killed your mother, No.

" But now that he is back I will be the happiest. I am seeing him after so many years and he looks just like me, and I love it. He is a little agonised about things I don't even know and is not even calling me dad. But it's fine, we will be fine." He added, his eyes moist.

I felt a lump in my throat as I said
"I am not here forever. I have come to get my answers, for the truth."

"Why? What punishment are you giving me James? What do you want to know?"

Tears fell from his eyes and it hit me another shot.

I let out a sarcastic chuckle my emotions racing to come out. " What punishment? Really dad? Have you forgotten everything? You left me and my mom while I was still in her womb, treating her like a servant, the horrible day of 24 April. Do you remember?"

He looked away, his face drained of color. I could feel my breathing becoming rapid and shallow and my heart pounding in my chest. I felt like I was going to be sick. I had to force myself to take a deep breath and calm down. I looked away, too angry and hurt to say anything else. I knew that no matter what he said, nothing was going to change the past.

He said in a choked voice
"I remember everything. I remember things you might not know James. But not everything was my mistake. I had to leave Kaylein... Not by choice. I was fooled. I was told that my mother wasn't doing well and had come here, and then I found out that everything was fake. I was called for the royal intermarriage. I didn't even know that it was fixed to Mary. Neither of us wanted to marry each other and had other partners in our lives. I tried to return to Kaylein but they blackmailed me that they will kill her. The fact that she belonged to..."

" Callopes " I said cutting him off. His eyes widened. I continued my heart throbbing " I know she belonged to the Callopes, and everyone lied to me my whole life about it. That is why I am here dad, only you can tell me everything. I am not here to listen to these fake stories. Please...."

He took a pause soaking everything I just yelled.

" I am not lying James. I agree that everyone lied to you about your maternal lineage because we wanted to keep you safe. Trust me son for once! "

I was overwhelmed with emotions. I felt like I was in a whirlwind of pain and guilt. I had no idea what to do or say as I watched my father struggle with his own emotions. Last chance James that's what I said to myself.

" I want to know everything."

~~❤️~~

"What is going on?" Grace asked, her face filled with fear.

" You'll get to know miss. Answering your former question so nothing will be alright now , and James... He will not be fine once he returns and won't find her love." He grinned.
His grin widened as he continued.

"What a pity it will be for him. He would already be devastated after knowing about his family secrets and then when he'll see you missing." He chuckled. His words were full of betrayal and mockery. It was as if he enjoyed the thought of James being shattered and his heart broken. She could feel her heart racing and her palms sweating. She knew he was up to no good and it made her anxious.

" You are a traitor, Adverd. James trusted you and you.... Why are you doing this? Don't you feel ashamed?"

" Oh, I am sorry " he sarcastically imitated. " James only uses me for his own needs. He doesn't even care about me. And money can make you do anything, and getting paid to make your former enemy's life more hell , what a fun."

" He considered you as his brother. Whatever issues you have with him, we could resolve them together. But you are making a big mistake."

" Oh, no, I don't want to. I love making mistakes."

He came closer to her and tied her hands while she protested.

" You'll regret it Adverd! The deal you are having with these Callopes would shatter everything!!"
She yelled as the guards tried to drag her away.
He just smiled and put a cloth in her mouth to muffle her cries.
" Shut your fucking mouth, princess. "

She gritted her teeth, still struggling against the guards, but it was no use. She was powerless. They dragged her away. Away from James, away from her home, away from everything she ever owned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please vote for the story if you are really liking it...