FACING TRUTH

Nate watched his mother carefully as she took a long gulp of wine, her hands trembling ever so slightly. The glass seemed to offer her a semblance of courage, a liquid barrier between her and the difficult conversation they were about to have. He mirrored her actions, pouring himself a glass of whiskey over ice, the cool liquid providing a sharp contrast to the warmth spreading through his veins from the vodka he had shared with his friends earlier.

As he took a sip, Nate's mind raced with questions, each one more pressing than the last. He wanted to ask about the picture of Bailey's parents he had glimpsed in his father's office, wanted to understand why his own parents had seen him as a grotesque experiment to be fixed rather than their son. But above all, he wanted to know why they had been willing to sacrifice everything – their family, their morals, even innocent lives – for the sake of the hex project.

Kiara took a deep breath, steeling herself for what she was about to reveal. "Nate, I need you to listen to me carefully," she began, her voice grave. "There are things about the hex project that you need to know, things that I wish I could take back."

Nate's heart clenched at the sadness in his mother's voice, the weight of her words settling heavily on his shoulders. "What do you mean, Mom?" he asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

Kiara's gaze met his, her eyes filled with regret. "I mean that I wish I had never agreed to participate in the hex experiments," she confessed, her voice wavering with emotion. "I wish I had never put you through that."

Nate's breath caught in his throat, a lump forming as the full weight of his mother's words hit him. "Why did you do it, then?" he asked, his voice trembling with a mixture of anger and confusion.

Kiara shook her head, tears glistening in her eyes. "I thought it was the only way to fix you, Nate," she admitted, her voice choked with sorrow. "I thought I was doing what was best for you, for our family."

Nate felt a surge of pain and betrayal wash over him, the realization of the depths to which his own parents had been willing to sink in the name of their misguided ideals. "But at what cost, Mom?" he whispered, his voice barely audible. "At the cost of innocent lives? At the cost of our own humanity?"

Kiara bowed her head, unable to meet her son's accusing gaze. "I know, Nate. I know," she murmured, her voice thick with remorse. "And I'm so sorry."

As the silence stretched between them, Nate's mind raced with a whirlwind of emotions. Anger, hurt, betrayal – they all mingled together in a tumultuous storm within him. But amidst the chaos, one thought cut through the noise with startling clarity.

"Why Bailey?" Nate blurted out, his voice raw with emotion. "Why would you hurt her, Mom? She's done nothing wrong."

Kiara's eyes widened in shock, her breath catching in her throat. "I...I didn't want to, Nate," she stammered, her voice pleading for understanding. "But she has something that could expose everything – the truth about the hex project, about your father's involvement, about everything."

Nate's mind reeled at the revelation, his heart pounding with a mixture of disbelief and horror. "And you were willing to kill her for it?" he whispered, his voice barely audible.

Kiara reached out a trembling hand to her son, her eyes brimming with tears. "I didn't know what else to do, Nate," she confessed, her voice breaking with sorrow. "I was desperate to protect our family, to protect you. But now...now I see that I've only made things worse."

Nate's heart ached with compassion for his mother, for the impossible choices she had been forced to make. But even as he reached out to comfort her, a steely resolve settled within him.

"We have to stop this, Mom," he said, his voice firm with determination. "We have to put an end to the hex project before it destroys everything – before it destroys us."

Kiara nodded, her tears mingling with his own. "I know, Nate," she whispered, her voice barely a whisper. "And I'll do whatever it takes to make it right, to protect our family, and to protect Bailey."

Nate's disappointment and hurt weighed heavily on him as he listened to his mother's explanations. The weight of her words, the gravity of her actions, threatened to suffocate him. With a heavy heart, he realized that the image he had held of his parents, of his family, had been shattered irreparably.

"I need some time," Nate finally spoke, his voice strained with emotion. "I need to... I need to think."

Kiara reached out a hand, her eyes pleading for forgiveness. "Nate, please," she implored, her voice trembling. "I know I've let you down, but..."

Nate shook his head, unable to bear the pain in his mother's eyes. "I can't right now, Mom," he whispered, his voice barely audible. "I need to be alone."

With a heavy heart, Nate turned away from his mother, his footsteps heavy as he made his way out of the room. Each step felt like a betrayal, a rift widening between him and the woman who had raised him, who had loved him despite everything.

As he closed the door behind him, Nate's mind swirled with a whirlwind of emotions. Hurt, anger, betrayal – they all warred within him, tearing him apart from the inside out. But amidst the chaos, a small ember of hope flickered within him.

"I'll think about it," he whispered to himself, his voice barely a whisper in the darkness. "I'll think about trusting her again."

But deep down, Nate knew that the road to forgiveness would be long and arduous, filled with obstacles and doubts. Whether he could ever truly trust his mother again remained uncertain, a question that lingered in the shadows of his heart.