Chapter 148: Resolve And Absolution!

-THE NEXT DAY IN A MONJAYAKI RESTURANT-

"You idiot, don't stir it so much!  It's gonna get all watery and won't cook on the grill properly!"  Devlin yelled to Ren.

"Oh shut up, the way I'm stirring is fine!  Back off and let me cook damn it!"  Ren yelled as he stirred the batter mix furiously.  "I know what I'm doing!"

"I'M TELLING YOU MAN, IT'S NOT GONNA COOK RIGHT!"  Devlin yelled as he lunged towards Ren.  "STOP STIRRING IT SO MUCH!"

"SUPER 3000 REVOLUTION SPINS GO!" Ren yelled as he continued stirring the bowl even faster, leaning backwards to dodge Devlin's grasp.

"DUDE, CHILL OUT!"  Devlin yelled as he tried to grab the bowl from Ren.

Ryuko sighs as she hides her face from the other patrons as Evelyn rubs her temples.

"This is so embarrassing..." Ryuko and Evelyn both thought as Ren and Devlin fought over the bowl.

-20 MINUTES AGO-

"So this is Monjayaki..."  Devlin said as Ryuko poured the batter onto the grill.

"This is one of my favorite small meals to get when everything else is closed.  It's cheap and easy to cook, and tastes great!"  Ryuko said to Devlin.

"Smells awesome.  You like places like these?  Little hole in the wall type of places?"  Devlin asked.

"Generally speaking, yes.  More popular restaurants tend to make me stand out due to my position as a pro hero."  Ryuko replied.  "In places like these, I can at least get some privacy while eating."

"Being a popular hero sure is tiring, isn't it?"  Devlin asked.  "It looks a little messy...  Is the Monjayaki supposed to look like that?"

"Well, Monjayaki is actually considered "ugly food" due to how messy the presentations can become.  Since you can choose your own toppings, the consistency with this kind of food is less than...  Well, consistent."  Ryuko explained.  "But don't worry, this is a natural part of making Monjayaki.  Is there any toppings you want to try in particular?"

"Well, let's see...  Are you on the special menu tonight?"  Devlin asked.

"Down boy.  How about we eat some dinner first, then see where we go from there?"  Ryuko said with a smirk.  "Now then, the toppings?"

"Those Bonito flake things over there look good."  Devlin replied.

"Good choice."  Ryuko said as she sprinkled on the Bonito flakes.

Devlin looks over to the other patrons, seeing the male office workers around them glancing over to Ryuko and whispering among themselves.  Devlin glares at all of them and grabs the metal leg of the table, crushing it with his bare hands as he smiles innocently towards all of them.

"So...  You get hit on a lot when you eat alone like this?"

"Well, normally I'd be having dinner with my sidekick, Nejire-chan.  But I'd be lying if I said it didn't happen a few times."  Ryuko replied.

"I don't blame them.  With a woman like you around, how could any man in their right minds not try their luck with you?"  Devlin replied.  "I definitely would."

"But unlike the other men who've tried, you lived to tell the tale."  Ryuko replied as she smiled.  

"Totally worth the risk."  Devlin replied as he and Ryuko chuckled.

"The monjayaki should be ready in a minute or so."  Ryuko replied.

Ryuko continues to tend to the Monjayaki as Devlin watches her.  Ryuko holds a smile on her face as she flips the Monjayaki over.