Chapter 34: Who You Choose To Be!

Izuku follows Ren quietly down the halls of the plumbers HQ, they make their way past multiple doors and gates before finally making their way to a small elevator.  Ren presses the button that takes them down and they wait patiently for the elevator to rise.

"Sensei, where are we going?"  Izuku asked Ren.

"To see a bit of my past."  Ren replied.

"Your past...?"  Izuku replied.

"Yup, to my old room here.  Don't you want to know the kind of teenager your Sensei was like back then?"  Ren asked teasingly.

"Well, I mean..."  Izuku muttered as he looked away nervously, scratching his head as he did.  "Judging from the rumors I heard in the crowd, along with what you've told me about being a gang leader, if we were the same age; you'd definitely be the type of person I'd rather avoid..."

"Besides, I want to give you a gift before we head out to our mission."  Ren explained.

"A gift?  Is it a new alien!?  In that case, you just do it here can't you?"  Izuku exclaimed excitedly.

"I told you before kid, I gave you Buzzshock because you earned it.  The same rule applies for any future aliens, you have to prove to me that you're ready for a new one."  Ren replied.

"But how will I do that?  Your standards aren't exactly clear cut and dry you know..."  Izuku replied.

The elevator arrives and the doors open, Ren steps inside with Izuku following promptly behind.

"Patience kid, first rule I taught you.  Don't worry, I wouldn't fret over it too much.  Just keep doing what you're doing.  Come on, press the 4th to last bottom on the far right side."  Ren stated.

"This one?"  Izuku said as he pressed a button on the pad.

The elevator doors close and begins to descend.  Izuku waits patiently in the elevator with then, he looks up towards Ren, who had his eyes closed and listened quietly to the elevator music that played.

"But...  The type of person Sensei was after he was taken in by his Sensei...  I have to wonder, was Sensei always like this?"  Izuku thought to himself as he stared at Ren's relaxed smile.  "Sensei's life was hard ever since he was a kid, he had to do things he never wanted to in order to survive...  Did he learn how to overcome that, or does he still live with that guilt...?  Now that I think about it, there's still so much about Sensei I still don't know.  He's told me stories about his adventures, but hardly ever anything about when he was a student of his Sensei..."

Izuku then remembers Ren speaking about Ben during the night the staff of U.A. visited his home.

"Well, he's... been dead for... for a very long time now...  So uh... I don't really blame you for not knowing him. He was... a good man... The best Sensei anyone could ask for. He changed my life..."  Ren's words echoed in Izuku's mind.

"What happened to Ben 10,000...?  It must be hard for him to talk about..."  Izuku thought to himself.

The elevator doors open, snapping Izuku and Ren out of their own heads.  Ren steps out of the elevator with Izuku following behind, almost tripping over himself as he tried to rush.  They make their way down the hallway until they reach a door at directly ahead of them in the hallway.  The number on the room was labeled "100".  Ren placed his hand on the scanner next to the door, the panel scanned his hand then lit green.  The door unlocks and Ren opens it.

"Well, welcome to my old room."  Ren announced as he opened the door.

Izuku looked past Ren and observed the details of the room itself, it was slightly barren with dark grey painted walls, a hovering white desk and chair, along with a bookcase filled with figurines of alien toys and books to decorate it.  The bed had a white cover with a black blanket neatly folded at the end of the bed and two grey pillows at the top of the bed.