Betrayal and the Betrayed

“Quirkless bastard,” Katsuki said as he pulled Izuku up off the ground by the collar. “What, you think you’re better than me?”

“P-please-” Izuku’s voice shook as he spoke and his eyes flickered over to the goons snickering nearby. They laughed louder as they made eye contact with him, amused at the idea that he hoped they’d help him.

He had no such misconception.

Katsuki followed his eyes and growled, turning Izuku so the extras could no longer see his face. “Look at ME, Deku.”

“The shoulder,” Izuku whispered once sure he was hidden. “Mom comes home tonight.”

Katsuki gave a small nod before throwing Izuku into the wall. “Learn your place, freak,” he spat. He pulled back his hand, an explosion beginning to flicker, while he held Izuku in place with his other hand. Izuku clawed at the vice-like grip in desperation, trying to free himself.

“Do it, Bakugou!” one of the extras jeered.

Katsuki blasted Izuku’s left shoulder, the cloth of the uniform blackening and falling into ash under the heat. Izuku sobbed at the burn, crumpling as Katsuki released him. He turned away as Izuku withered on the ground, clutching his shoulder in agony.

One of the boys who had watched spat on Izuku before turning to follow Katsuki. He felt his hand clench tighter in his pocket but he said nothing as he walked away, ignoring Izuku’s exaggerated cries.

-----

He walked into Izuku’s apartment as soon as he was able to lose those parasites that followed him around. Izuku was in the bathroom, sitting on the counter as he tried to wash his new burn, struggling because of the angle.

“Let me,” Katsuki said, taking the cloth from him and turning Izuku so he could get a better hold. He ran it softly over the reddened area a few times before reaching for the ointment and gauze. It was a process they were both familiar with at that point. “When’s Auntie getting home?”

“Not till late,” Izuku said, wincing at the sting. “The plane comes in at nine.”

Katsuki nodded and finished wrapping the injury. He looked up and examined the scrape from an earlier incident across Izuku’s forehead, pulling up his hair to see it better. It had just started to scab up, the small pinprick pattern turning a rusty red as it healed.

“Tripped while going up the stone steps to the library,” Izuku said, the prepared alibi coming naturally.

“That works,” Katsuki said. It was better to the truth at least, that it had come from another show between the two, where Katsuki had smashed his head into the pavement, bloodying Izuku’s entire face.

Katsuki sighed. “I hate this, you know.”

Izuku looked at Katsuki, his gaze unwavering. “Just for a little longer,” he said, “it’ll be worth it, in the end.” He hopped off the counter and started cleaning up the first aid kit. “We just have to make sure our alibi is stable.”

Katsuki smiled. “Midoriya and Bakugou, mortal enemies.”

Izuku laughed. “Won’t they be surprised when they learn the truth.”

-----

“We’re going to change the world, you know,” said Izuku, breaking the silence. He lay on his stomach on Katsuki’s floor, head resting on one hand as the other wrote in his notebook.

Katsuki looked up from his phone. He lay on his bed as he scrolled through an article. Izuku may have been the mastermind of the two of them but Katsuki made sure to keep himself well informed of the comings and goings of the world as well.