XLIII

Chanse

"Oh my God. I am so tired." Eli groaned as she flopped onto the bed. We had just showered together and were waiting on room service. I couldn't wait to shower, I stunk.

"Have they been working you too hard?" I use my baby voice as I slip onto the bed. I take her face in my hands and squeeze her cheeks.

She shakes her head out of my hands and pulls away, groaning, "I'll have you know, that I have been working my ass off for the Homage. I needed to do Mama justice."

"You did wonderfully. You had us all crying our eyes out." I smile down at her.

"Thank you. There's only two more weeks then it's the announcement. Oh, what did you think of Blaine?"

"He was brilliant. What a guy. He was so nice, he bought me a bottle of water."

"Yeah, he's very much the mom friend."

"A bit like you." I raise my eyebrows towards my girlfriend.

"Shut up," she mumbled, "Speaking of moms, mine said that yours called. Are you gonna tell her?"

"We can do. I was hoping to call her tonight."

"Let's do it now. It's only," she checked her watch, "Six thirty there."

"Okay." I nod. I sit against the head board and Eli sits next to me. She rubs her hand over my stomach while I pull up my Mom's contact, "It'll be fine, right?"

"You're Mom loves me. Of course it'll be fine." she scoffed, but she sees the uncertainty in my expression, "If she's not fine with it, which I'm sure won't be the case, you'll have us to fall back on. My family adores you. Don't sweat it. Either way, you are loved and cared for."

"Yeah, you're right." I smile a little and lean forward to kiss her lips shortly. I try my best to swallow the nerves. I think I might tell her abiut the morning sickness and see if she works it out from there.

I press the facetime button and it rings for a little while, but my Mom's smiling face eventually appeared and she seemed to be in her office, "Hi, Chansey! I was looking forward to hearing from you. Before you ask, the babies are fine. All settled in and I think I have made an editing buddy out of Teddy. She's cuddled on my lap right now." Mom pans the camera down and my tabby cat is there, asleep in my Mom's lap.

"She's so cute. Where's Iris?" I ask.

"She's on the cat tree I got for my office. She loves it."

"I bet she does. How are you, Mom?"

"I'm dealing. Your Dad's been helping me a lot and I'm so grateful for him. He's so wonderful. But other than that, everything is fine. How about yourself, sweetheart?"

"I'm great. I'm getting a little sick in the mornings and I've been really weird with my moods. But otherwise, absolutely perfect."

"Oh, that's great, honey- wait. Did you just say morning sickness?" Mom asks, peering over her glasses at her phone.

"Yeah..." I trail off.

"When was your last period, Chanse?" her voice was serious.

"November?"

"Chanse."

"What?"

"Are you pregnant?"

"Yes." I nod. It was then that I realised that Eli was out of frame.

"You cheated on Eli?" Mom gasped.

"Mom-"

"How could you do this to her? She's been nothing but good to you! She's such a lovely girl! How could you cheat on her?"