XXII

Eliza

"Mama!" I called into the house when I got home.

"Yes, Eli? How can I help you?" Mama grinned as she came from her bedroom.

"So, how come you weren't gonna tell me that Gemma and I were cousins?" my hands moved at an alarming rate as I spoke.

Mama's smile dropped and she crossed her arms, something she does when she's insecure, "Well, you Uncle Malachi didn't want you guys to know  because... Well, because of me. He doesn't like to be around me but for some reason wants to be in my life and he wanted advice in parent life."

"What?" I shook my head.

"You know that my father was abusive and your Uncle Malachi feels bad because he didn't do anything to stop it. Everytime he looks at me, the pain and guilt eats him up. But he misses me from time time to time, and I miss him, so much." I saw the tears forming in Mama's eyes.

"Wait, so he didn't want to know you, but wanted to know you at the same time?" Mama nodded to this, "That's so confusing."

"I know." Mama sniffed as she went to the kitchen to busy herself. "I didn't understand at the time. So I was very upset and angry. This got your Mom involved and she helped me through it. I'm so grateful for her. I would be here today, telling you this, if it wasn't for her."

"Why?"

"Huh?" Mama looked up.

"Why wouldn't you be here?"

"I'd be in prison."

"Whoa, Mama. What? I'm gonna need a little more than that."

"I felt myself feeling pissed all the time. And I am disgusted with the way that I thought during that time." Mama took a second to breathe, "I'd often think about hurting your older sisters and your Mom."

What a fucking bombshell.

"Did you ever act on those thoughts?"

"Never. Kate caught it just in time and called my therapist at the time, Auntie Connie."

"This is crazy."

"I know. And I tell you this because I don't want you to make the mistakes that your Mom and I have made in the past. If you ever feel shitty or something like that, reach out for help. It has almost cost us our lives."

"But... You're okay now?"

"I don't think I'll ever be okay. I'm still going to be haunted by my childhood, if you can even call it that. I was never a child. I didn't get the chance to be."

"I'm sorry, Mama."

"There's nothing you can do about it. What do you want for dinner?" she asked, but she was about to cry.

"Wait, hold on. Are you okay?" I ask as I step in front of her.

"No." she sniffed and her voice broke. I took her into my arms and held her as she cried. I played with her hair and rubbed her back until she was calming down.

"Breathe, Mama. I got you."

"Thanks, Eli. Let that be a lesson. Have a good cry if you need to. Don't hold it in." she said, pulling away. "But seriously, what do you want for dinner?"

"How about we go out to eat? Mama-daughter date."

Mom was having dinner with coworkers and Kath was at her girlfriend's house, so it was just Mama and I tonight.

"I'd love that." she smiled.

"Oh! And then we could go shopping."

"If you want."

"Yeah. Go get ready. I'm gonna take a shower." I say as I rush to my room to prepare myself for the evening.

--------------------

"Ready?" Mama smiled as she took in my outfit, "You look adorable."

"Thanks. You look very handsome."

Complimenting each other is very big in this family. We're supposed to bring each other up and love each other, so we put our words to good use and are just overall, positive to one another.

"Thank you." she grinned, I was wondering if you'd wanted to invite Chanse along?"

"As much as I love Chanse, I'm gonna say no because I want this time with you and you alone. I'm sure we can handle one day apart. I'll see her tomorrow. It's not the end of the world."

"You don't really mean that, do you?" Mama mused as we got into the car.

"No. But I think that we should have this time together. Just me and you, Mama."

"Okay, kiddo. But anytime you wanna get your phone out and check in on her, you do so. Yeah, Eli?"

"Okay, Mama." I nof as she started backing out of the driveway.

"Your Mom will probably call me at some point anyway. She worries too much."

"Or maybe she just loves you and misses you."

"I love her, too."

------------

We had a very fancy dinner at KFC and are walking around in the mall, looking for shops to browse in.

"What about in there?" Mama points to a clothes store that I really like. I take her hand and drag her in with me. She's already carrying three bags that I was originally carrying, but she took them from me anyway. She has this thing about not letting others carrying their bags and has to do it for them. God forbid she goes shopping with Mom's friends.

"I think this would be cute. What do you think, Eli?" Mama said as she held a pink polo shirt up to her body.

"Put it in the basket, Mama." I order.

She does so and we browse around.

"What're you gonna do for Halloween?" Mama asked as she looked at a t-shirt for me.

"I'm hoping Apollo will let me kidnap her children so Chanse and I can take them trick or treating."

"I'll ask her if you want." she said as she held the t-shirt up to me and shook her head before putting it back, "Not that one."

"Thanks, Mama."

"It's no biggie. What're you gonna go as?"

"Pain and Panic from Hercules."

"Are you Panic?" Mama questioned.

"Yeah. And Chanse is Pain. It's a perfect match, I think."

Just then, my phone started ringing and I fished it from my pocket to answer, "Hello?"

I didn't even check the caller ID so I have no idea who I'm talking to.

"Hey, baby. Can you come let me inside? The front door is locked and I think your parents and sister are out." Chanse spoke.

"Oh, I am so sorry. I'm out with Mama. I should've texted you. I wasn't expecting to come around since you had cheer practice today."

"Oh, okay. It's fine. It finished early today. Um, text me when you get home?"

"Yes, babe. Of course."

"Okay. I love you and I'll really miss you."

"I love and miss you, too. Get home safe."

"Have fun with your Mama. Bye."

"Bye."

I hung up and saw Mama finishing on the phone, too.

"That was your Mom. She misses us." Mama smiled.

"She's cute."

"Definitely. Was that your Mrs?"

"Yeah. She was knocking at our front door."

"Yikes." Mama cringed.

"She gets it. I told her I was out with you and yeah. It's whatever."

"Ooh, Eli. What about this shirt?" Mama gasped as she started walking away at the speed of light towards another aisle.