XVIII

Chanse

The phone in the foyer rang and I literally ran up to it to answer.

Eliza is coming over for dinner and to say I'm nervous is an understatement. She's probably feeling it ten times worse.

"Hi, Chanse speaking." I say.

"Miss Chanse, I have Eliza here at the gate." the gate man said.

"Okay, I'll come and get her now." I smile to myself at the thought of Eli awkwardly stood there while he spoke to me on the phone.

"Very well."

"Thank you. Bye." I say quickly and hang up the phone.

"Mom, I gotta go get Eli. I'll be back in a minute." I call to my Mom.

"Okay, honey." she replied.

I left through the front door and hopped into a golf cart. We have a massive property so they are a necessary feature.

I cruise down the drive way and see Eli at the front gate. Her eyes find mine and she grins widely. I notice that she's holding a bouquet of flowers in her hand. As I came to a stop, she stepped up next to me and gave me a kiss.

"Get in, hot stuff. Dinner's almost ready." I wink.

She laughed as she got in and I swiftly took us back up the driveway.

"That was a long ass driveway." she mumbles.

"Are you nervous?" I ask.

"Two hundred percent. Look at my hands." she held her hands up and whey were visibly shaking.

"You'll be okay."

"I sure hope so."

"Mom is really excited to meet you."

Eli only nodded as I lead her into the house. I watched as she looked around in wonder at the foyer.

"Wow."

"Is that Eliza?" I hear Mom's voice echo from the kitchen.

"Yeah."

Mom came out and her eyes lit up at the sight of Eli. She pulled her in for a hug and squeezed her tight.

"Hello, Eliza. I have been so excited to meet you. You've been so wonderful to my little Chansey, always putting a smile on her face! How are you?"

"I'm good, thanks. How about yourself? And these are for you. " Eli responds, handing the flowers to my Mom.

"I am happy as Larry! Dinner is nearly ready, if you'd like to go take a seat. I just need to find a vase for these. They're so beautiful."

"Is there anything I can help with? It's the least I could do." Eli offers and I just smile at her kindness. Something I love about her.

"Oh, no! You kids go sit and relax. I got it."

"Please let me help, Mrs Moreno." Eli pouted.

"Awe, let her help, Mom. You can't say no to that face. Look at it!" I gesture to the pouty face.

"Oh, alright. Come with me. Chanse, honey, can you set the table, please?"

"Yes, Mom."

We split ways and I move the plates, silverware and glasses in numerous trips, to the dining rooms. Thank god that the napkins are already in there.

I lay everything out so that's it's all ready for everyone when they come in. Eli trotted in with a bowl of salad and a few dressings, set them neatly on the table before walking back out again. She looked so cute, periodt.