XXXIV

Eliza

I've waited a few days to tell Chanse. She's just having so much fun with my family and given that I don't know how she'll react, I don't wanna ruin it for her. And I'm just gonna say it; I'm not expecting a good reaction.

We're kids. To welcome a baby, possibly two, shouldn't be something that we're thinking about just yet. We're not even eighteen, we're not even out of high school and we are not even married!

What if I'm a shit parent? I have no doubt that Chanse will be amazing because of the way she treats the cats. Sure, that's not the same thing but I know that she'll love and care for any child that was brought into her life. Chanse is just amazing.

But I'm not. Well, I don't know. I can't mother a child. I don't know the first thing about child care. I'm still the baby of the family! I've never really know responsibility. No younger siblings, cousins or anything. And I've only ever looked aftery nieces, but that wasn't for their whole lives, just a few hours.

"Eli, you okay?" Chanse asked me.

"I need to talk to you." I say, a hint of dread in my voice. Chase picks up on this and gets up, disturbing our cuddling position on my bed.

"Are we okay? Did I do something? Do you hate me because I came here and ruined your time with your family? I'm sorry, Eliza. I'll go back to LA. I'll get the next flight out, I'm so sorry-"

"Chanse. We're fine. I love that you're here. Please, don't leave." I beg.

"Oh, okay. What's up, then?"

I sit up on the bed and join her on the edge. I take her hands in mine and squeeze them.

"What I'm about to say is gonna sound like bullshit. But I need you to take me seriously." I start.

"Of course. Anything for you." she squeezed my hand back.

I take breath before saying, "I may have gotten you pregnant." I close my eyes and turn my head away, waiting for her to laugh. But she didn't.

"What- how? How could you have possibly gotten me pregnant?" she questions.

I explain everything to her. Mama's story and what this means for me. I also express my worries about being a bad parent. She listens intently and never lets go of my hand.

"Eli, I just want you to know that if I am pregnant, I would be so happy. It would mean that we created a little package of love together. A little human. All because we love each other. And I will love the kid forever. So will you and everyone else. And about you being a bad parent, I don't think that could ever happen. You're so kind to your nieces and you take good care of them when they need it. I have no doubts about you being a mother." Chanse assured me.

"Okay." I nod, "Okay. What do we do?"

"Get a pregnancy test." she shrugged. "We should also speak to your parents. And my parents."

"My parents will be okay with it. I mean, they've been parents since they were thirteen." I say to Chanse.

"Thirteen? That's a bit young to start having kids, isn't it?" Chanse chuckled. I think believes that Ruth and Zoey were born from Mom.

"It's a long story. But it wasn't their choice. Just know that." I say to Chanse with a tone that will communicate that it's not a funny situation. She stopped chuckling and nodded.

"Should we talk to them today?" Chanse questioned.

"I think so. Mama already knows that there is a possibility. I spoke to her after we... Did it." I tell her.