056

Chapter 56

When the first photon bomb exploded inside the cave, Chen Xiong was shocked and all the contract beasts retreated, flying towards Professor Lin.

The deafening blast echoed in the cave, causing unrest among the contract beasts. Timid ones curled into a ball, and amidst the bomb's sound, Chen Xiong, protecting Professor Lin, looked at the still unconscious Tiger King nearby. He felt as if the photon bomb, even if it didn't blast open the mountain, shattered his heart.

Is this really the end of their many years of effort?

No, wait. He remembered the Tiger King mentioning that there might be a side passage further into the cave.

Chen Xiong gritted his teeth, about to shout, but as his gaze swept over the cave entrance, he abruptly froze.

The once wide-open entrance was now filled with dust and smoke from the explosion, but the walls inside extending into the cave showed no signs of damage.

Through the smoke and the scenes inside the cave, Chen Xiong could vaguely see a transparent... energy shield?

Glancing at Professor Lin and recalling the recent scene of Wen Jin running with him, seemingly enveloped in a similar energy shield, Chen Xiong's gaze finally landed on the white fox standing at the entrance, looking up as if contemplating something.

"...Old Chen?" Just as Chen Xiong stared at Wen Jin in a daze, Professor Lin, protected by him, opened his eyes at some point. Bloodstains remained on his forehead and body, but the wounds were gone. "Where is this?"

As Professor Lin spoke, the entrance faced another round of photon bomb attacks.

This time, it was a three-round burst. Each hit on the energy shield consumed a significant amount of spiritual energy. Wen Jin frowned. Before he could worry about the spiritual energy, cries of surprise echoed from inside the cave. Feeling annoyed, he stomped the floor with his paw, "Roar—!"

Though he hadn't transformed back to his original form, maintaining his small appearance, the powerful roar silenced the entire cave.

A group of contract beasts, as if brainwashed, all came to a halt. Even the trembling ones in the corners cautiously looked at Wen Jin, their expressions filled with both fear and admiration.

"Why is it you... What happened exactly?" Professor Lin, now sober, immediately noticed Wen Jin's unusually vivid fur in this dim environment. As he processed the surroundings and the numerous contract beasts in the cave, fragmented memories returned to his mind. Professor Lin's expression turned serious, "Is the entrance secured by the Stabilization Unit?"

He directed this question to Chen Xiong, and as he spoke, it seemed like he had already formed an answer in his mind. With a determined expression, Professor Lin pushed aside Chen Xiong, "They... you go, and I'll talk to them!"

"No time," Wen Jin swept his eyes over the group of bewildered contract beasts inside the cave and glanced at the agitated Professor Lin. Speaking coldly, he added, "It's not DeVitt's doing, his location is farther away."

Professor Lin didn't catch the fox's underlying message but instead seemed perplexed, "Marshal is also here?"

Even if he didn't know what had happened, Professor Lin understood that neither DeVitt nor Chen Xiong would escalate to firing.

Chen Xiong's expression darkened, "Not only is the Marshal likely not here, but it's very possible that these aren't even Assyrian soldiers. Professor, do you remember what the person who injured you looked like?"

Before Chen Xiong could finish his sentence, Professor Lin, as if suddenly remembering something, immediately turned solemn. In this instant, the third photon bomb was launched.