016

Chapter 016

As the chief military doctor of the Devitt Legion, Archie received the energy fluctuation alert at the earliest moment and felt uneasy. While others might think that such energy fluctuations indicated Devitt's improving health, Archie knew better. Devitt's current physical condition couldn't handle the density of energy that would trigger a potential energy storm.

Archie, concerned about Devitt, messaged him and, despite being refused, stayed near his room. When Devitt finally agreed, Archie entered and found Devitt sitting with a serious expression, a new blanket on the table, and a small fox?

Archie approached and discovered Devitt holding a spoon with a warm steamed egg made from Portbird's egg. Sensing something unusual with the fox, Archie asked, "What's wrong?" Despite Devitt's decent condition, the fox, normally fond of such treats, showed no interest.

Devitt looked up and the fox suddenly perked up, barking fiercely. Archie teased, "Oh, is this jealousy? Your relationship seems to have deepened in my absence."

The fox, still sulking, couldn't turn its head but expressed a range of emotions through its eyes, grumbling softly. Devitt, unfazed, continued offering the spoon to the fox, asking, "Do you want to eat?"

With just three words, the fox felt a hint of threat, recalling the struggle moments ago to resist licking the delicious egg. Surrendering, it reluctantly howled, "Wuwuao!" Fine, I'll eat, but you better not tell anyone about what just happened!

After howling, the little fox immediately opened its mouth and bit off the egg inside. Just after taking a bite, a satisfied expression appeared on its white furry face.

Not knowing what it was made of, the outer layer was somewhat hard, but upon biting into it, the inside was soft like water. Even though the outer skin had cooled, the inside remained warm. The taste was subtle but enticing, making one crave another bite.

Wen Jin only took one bite, and his gaze subtly glanced at the bowl. His eyes sparkled, but he continued to lie on the table, maintaining a dignified appearance.

Having spent enough time with Wen Jin, Devitt understood him a bit. Seeing this, he instinctively thought of adding another spoonful to feed him. However, he hesitated, pretending not to understand what the fox wanted.

"Howl-" Without waiting, the impatient fox began pushing his hand, emitting urging sounds from his throat and even licking his nose with his pink tongue.

Archie felt like something soft had struck his heart. In that moment, he swore he saw an unprecedented richness of emotion in his best friend's eyes.

"What's going on?" Seeing the fox happily eating and wagging its tail, Devitt continued to feed him spoon by spoon. Archie suddenly questioned his past habit of "spoiling Cai Cai" and felt a sense of guilt and doubt.

As soon as he finished speaking, Wen Jin, who had been eating happily, stiffened, refusing to eat the egg.

Devitt glanced at him, continued placing the spoon in front of him, and replied to Archie's question, "Throwing a tantrum."

Despite the explanation, the indulgence in his words was overwhelming. Archie swallowed saliva, telling himself to get used to it, and then inquired about the energy fluctuations.

As a wood-type esper, Archie was highly sensitive to energy changes. If Devitt's body experienced such intense energy absorption, there was no reason Archie wouldn't sense it. He was certain that the Devitt sitting in front of him now was no different from a few hours ago. So, what caused the intense energy fluctuations?

Devitt remained silent for a while. He had no intention of hiding anything from Archie, but fundamentally, what happened just now was unrelated to him. He didn't have the authority to intervene in every matter.

After thinking for a moment, Devitt said, "Prepare some energy stones for me."

Archie frowned, not entirely approving. "Again?"

Devitt's original plan was to contact Professor Lin after returning to the Academy, then consider the matter of energy nuclei. Lin was an absolute authority in this field. Energy absorption would also be dealt with later. Although the insect poison had been resolved, the problem of energy storms still lingered. He couldn't afford to be careless. However, during the time the little fox absorbed energy just now, he sat outside. Initially, he felt pressure and restlessness in the energy nucleus, but later, it was different.

He felt his energy nucleus yearning for energy, even the surrounding meridians connecting to the energy nucleus started to clear up. It felt like absorbing something pure. Since the age of 37, he hadn't experienced this sensation for a long, long time. His intuition told him that this might be a good opportunity.

Thinking about this, Devitt's gaze fell on Wen Jin, who was biting the egg. He patted his head, and when Wen Jin impatiently pushed his hand away, Devitt didn't get angry. "Yes."

Wen Jin on the other side probably guessed Devitt's thoughts. He thought that when he absorbed energy just now, he didn't pay attention to the leakage, and it was indeed absorbed by this human, as humans always did. Even back in the Primordial Continent, where he and his master resided on a mountain with extraordinary spiritual energy, there was a human faction that had been around for hundreds of years, surprisingly large, with several hundred people.

However, the spiritual energy of ancient-bloodline demonic beasts was indeed different from ordinary beings. After all, demonic beasts had unparalleled extraction abilities; even the dispersed spiritual energy was quite precious. Since it had already dispersed, being absorbed by this contracted human wasn't really a loss.

However, there was something that Wen Jin had been curious about. Devitt's talent among humans was by no means weak, and his meridians were very suitable for cultivation. In the human world before, he would have been considered a proud son of heaven, someone to be fought over by major sects and clans, but the energy in his body was chaotic for some reason. Although he showed signs of reaching the Foundation Establishment stage, even approaching the Golden Core stage, his spiritual energy was in disarray. This couldn't continue. There were often cultivators who exploded and died on the Primordial Continent, so it was better for Wen Jin to take a closer look.

The two of them were considered fellow passengers now, and Wen Jin could tolerate the human faction building under his mountain. Apart from occasionally feeling annoyed and throwing some rocks down, they hadn't done anything harmful. With this small tail, he could still handle it.

Completely unaware that he had been covered by Wen Jin, Devitt convinced Archie, relying mainly on Archie's intuitive understanding. The bowl of eggs in his hand was also fed.

While Wen Jin was thinking about covering the little tail in the future, he suddenly saw Devitt eating a piece of meat from his favorite plate. The smell of that meat was enticing, placed beside the bowl of eggs. Wen Jin thought it was specially prepared for him! He planned to enjoy it after finishing the eggs!

Moreover, Devitt only ate one piece, but as the two chatted, Archie unexpectedly ate one too. After finishing, Devitt even wanted to go and get another one!

Wen Jin's patience reached its limit. He pounced, biting off the meat and giving Devitt a resentful look, then ate the meat in a provocative manner, licking his paw afterward. "Howl."

Why is the little tail eating so recklessly? Eat, and scratch you!

Seeing the suddenly howling little fox, Archie found him surprisingly cute. Thinking about the pink and tender paw pads he had seen before, he suddenly felt a bit itchy and wanted to know what it felt like to be pounced. So, he tentatively reached out to grab a piece of jerky to entice Wen Jin.

However, one hand was faster than him. Devitt quickly snatched the jerky Archie wanted to grab, then looked at the little fox pouncing with a joyful expression, feeling the soft paw pads. He even raised his head and looked at his friend with a displeased expression.

Archie, who couldn't tease the fox and was instead stared at: "..."