043

Chapter 43

Devitt originally wanted to say something to Wen Jin, but the restless energy within the energy core had long pushed his body to the limit.

Helpless in the face of circumstances, he once again mentally went through the trajectory that the youth had drawn in the dream. Then he reached out and pressed on the car door.

The next moment, the door beside the position where Wen Jin was crouching opened. Devitt glanced at Wen Jin, and the meaning in that glance was crystal clear: Wen Jin should quickly leave once he sensed something was wrong.

Devitt couldn't determine whether the trajectory the youth in the dream left him was real or if he had misunderstood. However, his situation had reached the most extreme point, and the only option laid before him was to gamble.

Moreover, for some reason, Devitt harbored no suspicion about the existence of the youth in the dream. Even when he saw Wen Jin awake, a certain thought flashed through his mind.

His hand, resting on his thigh, subtly beckoned. Devitt's gaze swept over the small fox in the corner one last time.

Then, he closed his eyes.

In that moment of closing his eyes, the originally grumpy fox in the corner also calmed down. Its expression turned composed, and its gaze fell on Devitt with a hint of seriousness.

This guy's talent was originally strong, but due to problems in absorption, his dantian had long become a mess. The misuse of his powerful energy had caused more severe damage to his body than an ordinary person. Devitt had been utilizing spiritual energy in this erroneous manner for over thirty years. If an ordinary person were in his shoes, it would be a dead end.

But fortunately, Devitt was different from ordinary people. His meridians were naturally much stronger than those of a normal person. Among humans, he could be considered exceptionally gifted.

This kind of talent, which has given Devitt an additional lifeline, is evidently painful.

Therapeutic measures and adjustments are no longer effective for him. He can only use a "fight fire with fire" approach—inhaling new supernatural abilities to directly shatter his old ones, causing extreme pain to his body. In the end, he gambles on the possibility of a rebirth.

Watching Devitt's painful expression, a trace of concern appeared in Wen Jin's eyes.

He had noticed Devitt's problem but hadn't brought up helping him treat it for a long time, precisely because of this.

Remaking the dantian is an excruciating process. The description of "excruciating" was found by Wen Jin in ancient texts; he hadn't experienced it himself. However, Devitt was never someone who easily displayed pain on his face. Even he had this expression...

Feeling Devitt's surging energy throughout the entire car and the other's body temperature reaching an extreme, Wen Jin nervously scratched the cushion beneath his claws.

He could create an ice ball to cool down the big guy, but the coldness of that ice ball would only temporarily alleviate Devitt's pain. After the spiritual power followed the coldness and water stains into the body, the agony would intensify. Moreover, Devitt's current physical condition made him highly sensitive to any surrounding energy.

The best solution would be for Wen Jin to personally step in—he could control spiritual power and make Devitt more comfortable. In the most extreme environment, even the slightest glimmer of hope could instill a strong will to survive in a person.

But...

Since being thrown into the Godfrost Lake and frozen for nine days and nights as a child, he developed the problem of fearing cold and pain due to the extreme cold. Wen Jin still dared not recall that excruciating pain from freezing. During those nine days, the entire fox's mind was blank; every day, he shivered while eagerly hoping for something hot to come and warm him up.