048

Chapter 48

In these two days, the conflict between the Parliament and the military's upper echelons has escalated to an unprecedented level.

The catalyst was Devitt's beating of Sendo in the research institute.

Because of this incident, the contradictions between the military and the Parliament could be said to have surfaced openly. After all, no matter how one looked at it, Devitt within the military symbolized the god of war.

Many of the younger soldiers had embarked on their military careers by following in Devitt's footsteps. For them, Devitt held a special significance.

Therefore, even though there were internal conflicts within the military, they always stood on the same front in this matter.

Additionally, regarding the alliance with the Yuta Star Union, the military was initially strongly opposed. The soldiers who had experienced the battlefield knew the deep-seated grudges between Assyria and the Yuta Star Union better than anyone. The generals also understood how much impact an alliance with the Yuta Star Union could have on Assyria's morale.

Unfortunately, in the beginning, due to Devitt's unconsciousness, the military couldn't find a way to rebut the Parliament if the insects attacked again. Eventually, they reluctantly allowed Cook and his group to push forward with the alliance.

But today, things became different.

Devitt had returned, recovered, and even formed a contract with a beast. This was known throughout all of Assyria. Although initially, not many people had a great interest in this beast, at most, they speculated about how Devitt would change with a beast.

However, on the day when the events in the research institute spread completely, everyone opened their gossip-seeking eyes, trying to extract relevant information from various sources.

Among them, the one who felt the strongest impact was Cook.

As an accomplice in the incident where Sendo was beaten and sent to the hospital, Cook was quite worried about his situation. He privately reached out to many old friends, attempting to seek refuge from them. The goal was to have an escape route ready in case Devitt came knocking on his door one day, allowing him to flee far away.

However, the communications he initiated during those days mostly took unexpected turns in the conversation.

"Yes, yes, that's right. So, in this matter, I hope you can do me a favor... No problem, I will provide ample compensation. I'll do my best to help you with anything you need... What? You want a beast like the Marshal's?"

After hanging up another call on the afternoon when Wen Jin woke up, Cook angrily slammed the table. "Everyone wants a beast like that, and they all come asking me. If I could find one, would I be hiding from Devitt like this? That beast can control even the giant creatures and make them obedient! If I had it, I would go and dominate, not waste time calling them!"

A subordinate working silently nearby raised his head. "They believe that you are one of the people who have recently been in close contact with the Marshal's beast, so they want to seek your opinion."

"Nonsense!" Cook kicked a chair. "Devitt is like a baby clinging to that beast all day long, never letting go. After he fainted, he's even more like a wild beast marking its territory. He'll growl even if you look at him for a moment. I've at most seen it, not touched a big head ghost!"

Feeling even more frustrated, Cook continued, "Moreover, these old guys were clearly not interested in the beasts before, and now the wind has changed so quickly. The one who used to enjoy going to the arena for bloody battles just told me something... What did he say?"