055

Chapter 55

The temperature inside the cave was very cold. Beasts of all sizes huddled together, seeking warmth. Wen Jin didn't like being close to other people or beasts, so he leaned alone in a corner.

Chilly winds carrying a cold air swept in through small crevices, causing Wen Jin to shiver involuntarily. After spending such a long time here, he had to indulge a bit. He used spiritual energy to warm his body, and to minimize consumption, he reverted to the smallest size.

Even so, Wen Jin was still a bit unhappy.

Mainly because of himself.

After hesitating in his heart for a long time, Wen Jin closed his eyes, allowing an image of a warm Marshal to surface in his mind. As he hummed to himself, he wondered why his hundred-year-old warming spell wasn't as comfortable as that little tail.

Warming his body a bit more, Wen Jin felt somewhat dissatisfied. He decided to secretly note down the amount of magic he consumed, thinking that when he got back, he must make Devitt replenish it. If not, well... After calculating in his mind for a while, Wen Jin finally squeezed out a threat: "If not, I won't let him touch me!"

Uttering these seven words, Wen Jin instantly lost his spirit. He felt a bit embarrassed that it took him so long to come up with such an unthreatening move. It seemed utterly lacking in intimidation.

Just when Wen Jin was feeling dejected, thinking he might have been eaten by that little tail, someone approached him.

Glancing over, Wen Jin asked, "Getting used to it?"

It was Chen Xiong who came, but he was in human form.

Chen Xiong hesitated for a moment, then smiled awkwardly. "Yeah, it's been many years. And..." He glanced towards Professor Lin, who was placed on a large beast in the distance, sleeping. "He should wake up soon."

"You two knew each other before?"

This sentence seemed to trigger some memories. Chen Xiong sighed and nodded after a while. "We did."

The relationship seems quite deep.

Thinking about the scene from earlier, Wen Jin pondered in his heart. However, he didn't ask because he felt that this "acquaintance" or "deep relationship" probably had something to do with Chen Xiong waking up and assuming human form.

Wen Jin, although curious, didn't like hearing stories of this kind. He took pride in being a beast and usually maintained his original form unless necessary. The thought of diverging paths between humans and beasts, like his little wife not liking his original form... Wen Jin didn't know why, but when this idea crossed his mind, he involuntarily imagined Devitt's face.

If the silly big guy looked down on his original form—midway through, he suddenly changed "little wife" to "silly big guy," and a fierce glint flashed in Wen Jin's eyes, his white paws exerting a bit of force on the ground—he would definitely scratch the other person's face! He wouldn't turn into a human every day just to coax him!

"This time, thank you." Chen Xiong looked at the nearby beasts, his gaze somewhat dim. He spoke with a significant tone, "It will be dawn in two hours. I'll take you to the Marshal then."

Wen Jin glanced at the wounds on his body, then looked at the beasts filling the cave and the cave entrance. "Can you hold on?" Although he didn't know what had happened to Chen Xiong, he had a feeling those soldiers wouldn't give up easily.

Chen Xiong rubbed his wrist, curious at the unexpected question. Tilting his head with surprise, he said, "Are you planning to endure it with me?"

"No." Wen Jin rejected without hesitation.