Chapter 60 - He's a vampire. She's a witch. What's more supernatural than that?

THE LAKE HOUSE

Aella and Elena made their way through the woods around the property, Elena listening as Aella explained the history of the Salvatore brothers. They had been outside for hours, and the weather was cold, but the tale had Elena listening earnestly.

Sadness clouded Elena's features, "I would never have thought it was Stefan who forced Damon to transition."

Aella, hands deep in her coat pockets, nodded sadly, "Stefan's never forgiven himself." She laughed humorlessly, "And Damon won't let him forget anytime soon."

"Is that why Lexi hates Damon," Elena wondered aloud. "Because he won't forgive Stefan?"

Aella snorted, "No. Lexi and Damon have their own history for Lexi to pull that hate from." She recalled what Stefan had told her, "Stefan was so full of guilt, what he'd done to Damon, his dad -even if he was an asshole- something like that is what can really harm a newly transitioned vampire. Stefan turned his humanity off."

Elena's eyes widened, "He what?"

"He turned off all his emotions," Aella explained almost painfully. Emotions were what made you human. "He had so many coming at him from all different directions, intensified by the transition he turned them all off."

Elena looked to the ground, thinking, "And when you say intensified by the transition...?"

"Sadness becomes misery," Aella listed off. "Anger becomes rage, confusion becomes despair. Hope becomes hopelessness."

Tears shimmered in Elena's eyes, "But to turn that off, you'd become a shell of a person - not even a person."

Aella shrugged, "To a vampire, I think it can be a gift... sometimes. Their emotions are stronger because they're enhanced; turn off the only thing you think is still making you weak, and you've got the perfect monster."

"Like in Jonathan's journal," Elena nodded, understanding how her uncle saw her friend as one. "When Stefan attacked the town, his humanity was turned off."

Aella smiled and was barely there as they stopped, and she faced Elena, "And now we're back to the beginning."

Elena blinked multiple times, "It's a lot."

Aella's nose crinkled as she admitted, "Stefan told me all this within days of meeting me. He wanted us to be honest and open with one another; no secrets."

Despite all she'd learned, the corner of Elena's mouth quirked up, "You two are so cute."

"I know," Aella shivered, sticking her tongue out. "We've turned into one of those couples that you hate in movies but secretly want in real life." She glanced around, "Speaking of my boyfriend, It's been far too long since I saw him, and he has a lot of making up to do since he admitted he was wrong."

Elena laughed, "I want to say 'awww,' but I know what you two are like, so say 'ew!' instead."

Aella nudged her elbow with hers, "I meant him waiting on me hand and foot, you dirty, dirty girl."

"Sure," Elena rolled her eyes. "You go ahead; I'm going to walk a little more."

"Take your time," Aella nodded and returned to the lake house. Just before she went out of view, she shouted back, "Keep your phone close; technically, you're still a kidnapping target."

Elena pulled her phone from her pocket and waved it in the air, "I got it." Elena waited until Aella was out of earshot before she found a specific contact in her phone and called it.

Only after two rings was the call answered, "Aren't you supposed to be relaxing next to a lake right now?"

Elena didn't answer; she instead asked him bluntly, "Why didn't you ever tell me it was Stefan who turned you?"