Chapter 39 - Pavlov's Dog

A/N: Soooooo, the last 'update' sucked. I had to take a little time back to just recover from the betrayal of someone using my work for their own gain... and a monetary at that. I was just so sad. The positive thing is that the work has been removed and I have now put in place search filters so I'm aware if this happens ago, although I pray to what ever God is listening that it never happens again. But I do want to thanks all those that messaged me via the chapters I posted, PM and other means; having your support was needed and really helped me push on. I love you all!

 Annnnywayyyy, the past is in the past, we are now in 2023 and this year is going to be a good one. I do hope you like this chapter xoxo

---------------------------

MYSTIC FALLS WOODS

The car had been quiet while Caroline drove her and Tyler to the cellar he would be using for his first transformation. The new sturdy chains he'd purchased sat on her back seat.

"How were you last night?" Tyler finally asked Caroline when the silence became too much for his brain. Between the arrival of Jules and the looming full moon, he needed anything to distract him.

Caroline stared intently out the windscreen, "I listened to every sad song I ever downloaded on repeat."

"Didn't Aella come round?" Tyler frowned.

"Jenna wouldn't let her," Caroline pouted. "She and Elena skipped school to go to Richmond, and Elena sneakily contacted Klaus. Instead, Elijah showed up and killed Kalus's minions. So Jenna put her on lockdown."

Tyler's brow furrowed, "I thought Elijah worked for Klaus...?" His eyes widened, "Wait a minute... I thought Elijah was dead?!"

Caroline waved off his shock, "Yeah... he's not so dead anymore." She smiled apologetically at him, "Forgot to tell you that yesterday."

"Whoa!" He settled back; now, that was a distraction.

GILBERT HOUSEHOLD

Elena pulled at the door again, scowling when it refused to budge. Suddenly it opened, and her scowl quickly transformed into a smile until she realized the spell Aella had cast hadn't dropped; Jeremy was returning from Anna's.

Elena's scowl returned, and Jeremy wondered what he did until he saw her hand on the door handle. It was hard to dispute their relation when an identical scowl formed on his own face, "Why are you on some suicide mission?"

Elena moved back to allow him to enter, "How do you know I'll go looking for Klaus?"

Jeremy closed the door with a roll of his eyes, "Because you're my sister, you've been this way my entire life."

"I'm trying to prevent everyone else from getting hurt," Elena argued back, hands on hips.

Jeremy laughed bitterly, "Oh, so, bringing Klaus the moonstone so you can get yourself killed is okay?" Elena nodded, and Jeremy blinked away the forming tears, "And what about those you'll leave behind?" Elena blinked rapidly, taken back by his tears, "Did you ever consider for one moment how we'll all feel knowing you're not here because you wanted to save us?" Frustrated, Jeremy pushed past her to go to the kitchen.

Elena turned to go after him when the door opened. Her eyes brightened when Aella walked in, though dimmed when she saw Damon following her. Before she could open her mouth to demand Aella remove the spell on her, Aella ran up the stairs, holding something close to her chest.

Damon smirked at Elena, "You should really lock your door...." The smirk widened at Aella's expression. "Oh, come on, pouty. At least give me two points for ingenuity."