Chapter 1 - Nate?

A/N: Ummm, surprise!?

As much as I loved the ending on Book 1, I hate leaving you all without an answer. So I decided to post the official first chapter of Book 2.

Now, we see the return of a favourite character AND check out my Instagram to see the face of a new character you've all been desperate to meet. Artful_Becca.

After this, I probably won't be posting until I have a good chunk of material ready, but until then... I hope you enjoy this chapter.

Happy New Year everyone xoxo

....................................
....................................

GILBERT HOUSEHOLD

It was quiet.

Too quiet for the number of people that were in the Gilbert house.

Stefan watched with red-rimmed eyes as Lexi took care of Aella's body. His best friend had been shocked at Stefan's panic call, so similar to his Ripper days, but this was very different. She had kissed Lee goodbye and sped to Mystic Falls.

Elena had invited her in and had tearfully ushered her up to Stefan, who hadn't moved from Aella's side. Her body was still on the landing floor, and dull eyes stared openly at nothing. Like Aella had done with her when she had saved her from Damon's wicked plan to kill her, Lexi took care of Aella.

When she moved to pick up Aella's still body, only then did Stefan's watery eyes look away from Aella and meet his best friend's sad gaze, "Lexi?"

She moved her hand, so it gently rested on Stefan's, who held Aella's cold hand in his, "I'm here, Stefan. But first, we need to take care of her. She doesn't deserve to be left here."

As if it triggered something within Stefan, his eyes began tearing up as he looked back down at Aella, "She's dead, Lexi."

Seeing her best friend was about to break down again, she squeezed his hand, "Where's her bedroom. Let's get her a little more comfy."

Stefan's hand only then let go of Aella's as he pointed to her bedroom. Lexi then gently picked up her friend, wincing slightly when she felt the bones in her chest crack even at the gentle movement; a sign CPR had been done, yet unsuccessful.

As she entered Aella's room, Lexi smiled softly; it suited the teen. Her eyes watered for the first time when she saw the little nook she had obviously created for Stefan; a sign proudly stated, 'Stefan's Space - Beware He Bites!' Stefan seemed to move to that spot automatically. He sat as Lexi carefully placed Aella down on the bed and conscientiously arranged her hair. It looked like she was sleeping.

The image was too much for Stefan, who suddenly stood and declared, "I can't be here."

Before Lexi could say anything, Stefan fled the room. Instead of following him, Lexi sat on the side of Aella's bed and spoke softly to her friend as she stroked her, "He just needs some time alone. I'll be here in the meantime."

.................................................

.................................................

Jenna's eyes widened when she saw Stefan run down the stairs and run out of the house. Her eyes returned to the phone in front of her that she still hadn't used. She felt sick knowing she had to call Nate and Sheila and reveal such devastating news, but until then, she could live in a world where Aella was still alive for at least a few more minutes.

A cup of tea was placed before her as Alaric sat beside her. He looked down at the phone and gently asked, "Ready?"

Jenna's tears fell from her eyes as she shook her head softly, "Just another minute... I need just another minute."