Chapter 26 - Hola, kidnappers!

MYSTIC FALLS HIGH SCHOOL

Bonnie smiled appreciatively at Jeremy as he passed her his water bottle from his bag. Anna sat on the floor with her, all three still in Mr. Darby's classroom. "I've been doing a lot of magic lately," she admitted to them both when questioned. "This has happened a few times."

"So why do it?" Anna asked curiously.

Bonnie turned the bottle in her hands, eyes fixed on it, "To be honest... Aella." Jeremy sighed heavily, and it had Anna shooting him a look to calm down. Bonnie wearily glanced between them, "But it's not what you guys think. I'm not jealous. I swear."

"It doesn't look like it from our perspective, Bonnie," Anna said as delicately as she could.

"I know," Bonnie nodded, biting her lip as she thought of her actions before she left Mystic Falls. "I know it looks that way, and I was jealous of Aella, jealous that she could protect all of you with a swipe of her hand, and I could barely levitate a feather. But being away, learning as much as I could from Grams, I finally saw through my jealousy. What Aella can do, even with the type of magic running through her veins, is hard. She worked hard to be as good as she is. That's when I realized, a little too late, that I could be a good witch if I worked hard. It's why I'm a little worn down; I've been practicing as much as I can."

Jeremy raised a skeptical brow, "When I'm worn down, I take a nap. Bonnie... you were unconscious."

Bonnie shrugged, taking another sip of water, "Witchcraft has its limits. If I push too hard, it pushes back."

"And it's pushing," Anna gestured to them on the floor. "How do you know you aren't pushing too much?"

"I just know," Bonnie sighed, pulling her grimoire on her lap. "This helps me. It's all in here; it's like a reminder that I'm not invincible. But I want to be able to help, have Aella trust me again."

Jeremy smiled down at her, "We both know how much Aella loves you. She's just upset."

Bonnie scoffed, "You didn't see her reaction when Grams and I showed up."

Anna winced, "Well, in her defense, it's not been the best of times since you left."

"I know," Bonnie swallowed heavily. "But I couldn't stay. If I did, I was sure I'd never have a relationship with my cousin again." She tapped her grimoire as if it comforted her, "That's why I need to push myself, to show Aella, Elena, all of you that I just want to help." She looked between the couple, "Please... don't tell anyone."

Anna's eyes widened, unsure of the request, "Bonnie...."

"Please," Bonnie's eyes burned with determination.

Reluctantly, after a shared glance, the two nodded, and Bonnie sighed in relief.

NORTH CAROLINA

As they pulled up the dusty driveway, Damon parked the car within the trees and pointed over the wheel to an unknown source, "The house should be just beyond those trees." The couple began unbuckling when Damon held up a hand to the two of them, "Wait, I got a lot more experience than you do with those sorts of things."

Aella raised an unsure brow, "What? So you've previously traveled across state lines to rescue the doppelganger you're too scared to admit you love?"

Damon ignored Aella's jab as he looked at Stefan, "Whoever has Elena is probably who was after Katherine in 1864 and before that."

Stefan's eyes widened with obliviousness, "And?"

"And..." Damon grunted, sick of the couple after being locked in a car with them for so many hours. "It puts them at 500 years old and strong. Are you sure you want to do this?"