Chapter 43 - It was my only choice

THE TOMB

Stefan stormed into the tomb, his footsteps so heavy that Katherine could hear them from the outside, even with her health declining.

As he saw her, Stefan furiously stepped as close to the barrier as he could, "Elijah. Tell me all you know!"

Katherine glanced at him up and down. His lips were thin, brows narrowed, eyes wide, yet the expression in his eyes had her curious, "At first, I'd say the anger was due to Damon, but that worry...." She smiled widely at her conclusion, "That's for Aella. Is the bitch dead?" Stefan glared fiercely at her, and she laughed, "No, not dead... missing."

"Elijah," Stefan repeated firmly. "Klaus. Tell me everything you know about them."

Katherine walked as close to the barrier as she could, their faces only inches apart, and she breathed up at him, "Let me out, and I'll tell you all I know. Then you can save your precious Aella."

Stefan backed up, "No." He shook his head firmly, "No. You are not getting out of here. So you tell me, I won't kill you."

"Kill me?!" Katherine exclaimed, shocked yet amused. "You'd never."

Stefan turned to her, and although she could see the seriousness in his gaze, she was positive he'd never kill her. However, as he slowly stalked towards her, that sureness began whittling down with every step. His tone became dark as their eyes met, "For her. For Aella. I'd kill you in a second."

Katherine wondered if this was what heartbreak felt like. She could see his hatred of her in his eyes, "I know, I've done terrible things. I know that, but I do love you, Stefan. Even if you don't believe it."

"You want me to believe you?" Stefan practically begged her; he didn't care if she saw him as weak. But he needed to find Aella, "Show me. Do something. Prove to me that there's something inside of you that's actually worth trusting."

Katherine rolled her eyes, "And then what? You're still gonna hate me."

"Maybe," Stefan nodded slowly. "...and maybe I'll see that there's still hope for you after all."

Katherine turned on the spot and began pacing, "You're playing me."

Stefan merely raised a brow, "Am I?"

"You want to find Klaus?" Katherine continued her pacing. "Elijah? Find him, find your precious Aella. Kill Klaus so you can return to the perfect life you've created."

"You know Elijah and Klaus well," Stefan tried to direct her back. "Rose told us all about France."

Katherine's pacing stopped, and she turned to Stefan with a scowl, "Rose? As in Rose-Marie?" She scoffed, "That wet blanket."

"Damon's sleeping with her."

"Damon?!" Katherine repeated in disbelief. "Damon and Rose-Marie? That'll end in disaster."

Annoyed, Stefan repeated the names, "Elijah. Klaus."

Katherine rolled her eyes, "Elijah's harmless."

"He ripped Trevor's head off with a wave of his arm," Stefan retorted deadpan.

Katherine paused, mouth half-open at his reveal. She tried to smile sadly at the news. Still, Stefan just stared, and her sympathetic smile quickly disappeared, "He lasted a lot longer than expected." Stefan sighed in disbelief, but Katherine persisted, "Elijah can be harsh. But he's smart. As annoying as the brat is, she's valuable. Klaus. He plans, and he schemes. He won't reveal anything until he's ready, and he's not ready yet."

"But you know where he is?" Stefan could see she knew something. "Klaus."

"No, I don't," Katherine told him honestly. Though, when her eyes gleamed with deviousness, Stefan became suspicious, "but I could help you find him."