Chapter 2

Iroh was looking at his grandson, his eyes swelled from crying and watching the video for a long time.

He sighs as he goes to the boy and picks him up in his arms.

Iroh: Y/N? What are you doing all alone in here?

Y/N: I... I'm quirkless, Grandpa... I... I don't have a quirk...

Iroh: I heard that from your mother. Come on, let's sit.

He puts Y/N on the bed, as he starts to caress the young boy's hair.

Iroh: Tell me, Y/N. You still wanna be a hero, right?

Y/N sheepishly nods.

Iroh: Well, before I say anything, can I ask you something?

Y/N nods, unknowingly melting a bit into the pats he was getting.

Iroh: What does a true hero do?

Y/N thinks for a while, but then starts to speak.

Y/N: They win. No matter what the situation might be. Like Endeavor.

Iroh: Hmm... You're right. But not entirely. Let me tell you a story of someone who I believe was a true hero. She had a quirk that didn't make her strong, or give her an edge against her opponents, and certainly, couldn't help her get a definite victory.

Y/N: What was the quirk?

Iroh: Hmm? She could make things float. That's all. But yet, she went on to face unimaginable dangers, and came out as a victor in all of them. She didn't have a strong quirk, and yet, she was almost as strong as All Might himself!

Y/N: *shocked* Eh?! You're lying!

Iroh: *chuckling* Not at all. She was actually really close to me.

Y/N: Who was it?! Have I met her?!

Iroh: No, you haven't met her. But whenever I would ask her the question I just asked you, you know what she would say?

Y/N sat up on the bed, eager to know what this surprisingly strong lady said and who she was.

Iroh: "When you have to save someone, that means that the person went through something scary. So true heroes not only save lives, they save hearts too. No matter how scared you are, you should put up a smile to show that you're okay. Because in this world, the ones who are smiling, are the strongest." You know what that means Y/N?

Y/N shakes his head, not understanding what his grandpa just said at all.

Iroh chuckles, as he puts Y/N in his lap, and the boy looks up at his grandpa's face.

Iroh: A hero isn't someone who always wins. No. That person's invincible. But not necessarily a hero. A hero, is someone who never gives up. Someone who will fight till the very end to protect something, or someone. Even if the odds are against them. Do you understand what I'm saying?

Y/N again shakes his head, which was understandable, since a four year old isn't smart enough to deduce the meaning behind riddles like this, from an old man, nonetheless.

Iroh: What I mean to say, my boy, is that i believe, that even without a quirk, you can become a hero.

Y/N: You... You think so...?

Iroh: I know so. But Y/N. In order to do that, you'll need to make yourself be able to be compared to those with a quirk as an equal. You'll have to train harder than them, you'll face more problems than them, you'll have to show them that you're worthy of being called a hero.

Now, Y/N was four, yes. But he had seen enough movies to know what Iroh meant. Soon, the boy was back in his cheerful mood.

Y/N: I'll do it! I'll train harder than anyone else! I'll be the strongest hero! I'll be so strong that even Endeavor would praise me!