CHAPTER 23

Monday morning

Adriana's pov

Yesterday nothing really happened, I was home alone like the rest of last week, Ashton and Kayla are coming back today, I'm so happy to see them, goodbye loneliness, for the first time I'm actually excited to go to school, we decided to meet at the cafeteria, Ashton, me, Kayla, Sophia and ugh jerk face.

I was kinda sad because Kayla, Sophia, Ashton and I don't have the same classes till lunch so that's why we decided to meet at the cafeteria.

"Adriana! Can you answer my question?" The teacher asks bringing me back to reality.

"Sorry what?" I ask confused, look I know that I wasn't paying attention to whatever she was saying, but for my defense I'm way too excited to see my friends it's been a whole week, and besides this class is boring, even the nerdiest people would fall asleep.

"Adriana! Go to the principal's office, now!" She yells even more.

"Okay medusa" I mumble to myself as I leave her class, it's okay 10 more minutes and it's finally lunch time.

I arrive in front of the principal's office and knock twice before I hear him say "Come in" I open the door and he sighs when he sees me "Glad to see you too" I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

"What did you do this time Adriana?" He asks crossing his arms on his chest.

"I'm doing great, how are you?" I continue with the sarcasm.

"Adriana, stop acting like a child I'll give you three seconds to tell me why you're here, otherwise you'll have 2 weeks of detention, everyday after school" He says seriously.

"Fine, I was daydreaming while the teacher was talking to me" I say rolling my eyes.

"Why were you being distracted?" He asks in a 'I'm your principal and I need to act like I care' tone.

"Well ask my brain" I say annoyed.

"Adriana! Behave" He scolds.

"Well then stop acting like my fu**ing dad!" I yell.

"That's it! You have detention for 2 weeks everyday after school, you will be cleaning the chewing-gums under the tables! Your dismissed!" He yells.

"Well I'm not coming" I say crossing my arms and smirking, I have an attitude, I'm not like those people who have different personalities, I'm like this with everyone, I say whatever I want.

"If you don't show up, you'll be suspended for a week" He threatens.

"Suspended my ass, I don't care I'd rather be suspended than having to come here everyday, It's a win win for me" I shrug.

"Just go already" He sighs and I leave cheerfully.

The bell finally rang, I run towards my locker to exchange my books before walking to the cafeteria, once I'm there, I see Kayla waving at me, I buy my food and go sit with Ash, Kay, Soph and the jerk.

"Hey guys!" I say as I sit next to Kayla, Ashton and jerk face are sitting across from us and Sophia is sitting on the side.

"Hey Adri, I missed you!" Kayla says as she hugs me tightly.

"I missed you all guys!" I reply as I hug Sophia and Ashton.

"So, what's new?" Sophia asks me.

I told them what happened today and Kayla is the first one the react "That's my girl"

"You shouldn't be this rude with your teachers" Ashton says.

"Well scolding me because I was daydreaming is kinda rude" I answer rolling my eyes.

"Tell this to your teacher" He adds.

"Tell this to my brain, it's not like I wanted to be daydreaming" I say.

"So Kayla, how was your week?" Sophia asks.

"Okay I guess, I mean going to LA was fun but since it was for my dad's business, I couldn't enjoy my 'holiday' he always had people over at the hotel and he would constantly say 'Kayla you can't leave now, we need to make a good impression for my clients' " Kayla answers.

"Well my weekend was worse, at least you went somewhere, I was stuck at home watching divergent" I say putting my chin on my hand.

"Well I couldn't do anything with my strict parents, I would spend the day sleeping and watching Netflix" Sophia answers.

"What about you Ashton? What did you do?" I ask, I kinda forgot he was sitting here, oh and jerk face too, he is very quiet, he's quieter than a ghost.

"Well I stayed at Jace's house, we didn't do much, you know playing video games, going out to the mall and stuff" He answers vaguely.

I do want to prank him a little bit "Stop lying Ashton, I saw you, you can stop acting now, I know the truth" I say, I really don't know what I'm talking about, what can I say? I'm a good actress.

He chokes on his water "Wait, you know? How are you not mad at me? WAIT did you tell Sophia and Kayla, you are all in danger now!" He says worriedly looking at jerk face, wait? This was supposed to be a joke, so they are hiding something, SOMETHING DANGEROUS, otherwise he wouldn't have said 'you are all in danger now'.

"What are you two hiding?" I ask pointing at jerk face and Ashton.

"Wait? I thought you knew" Ashton replies.

"I was just pranking you, but now I know that you're hiding something very dangerous and that you are covering for jerk face" I say smartly.

Jace's pov

"I was just pranking you, but now I know that you're hiding something very dangerous and that you are covering for jerk face" Adriana says smartly.

"Why do you think that I'm covering for Jace?" Ashton asks raising an eyebrow, for a minute I actually thought that Adriana found out, she is very smart I wouldn't be surprised if she found out, but we have been hiding this for the past YEARS, are we this obvious now? Ashton was really trying to get into his character the day where Adriana punched him in the cafeteria, he could've defended himself of course, but she would've had a lot of questions, I'm scared that she'll find out something.

"Well because, you and I tell each other everything, and I know how loyal you are to your friends, so if you're actually keeping a secret it can't be yours" Adriana explains, she really is smart, she's so pretty.

What are you thinking Jace, snap out of it!

But she really is pretty

She is but you can't like her, you are A MAFIA LEADER, THE STRONGEST ONE YOU CAN'T LIKE SOMEONE IN THAT WAY.

But she is strong she would be able to help you run your mafia.

She would be my weakness, everyone would try to hurt her to get to me!

Am I really arguing with myself right now?

"Stop it, we are not hiding anything, and if we are it's none of your business" I say coldly, I know that acting like this around Adriana will make her hate me more, but I can't be with her, it's for the best that she doesn't like me, I don't want to break her heart.

"For a moment, I thought that you got your tongue chopped off, jerk" She answers harshly.

I need to be more distant, I am falling for her everyday, I can't keep doing that.