Chapter 31: Preferences

I have returned with another chapter and hope you enjoy it. 

The next one might be a little longer again, and it seems like our King will finally stop sulking.

Xiao Zhan's POV

Something must happened while I pulled back and stayed in my room. Haoxuan kind of behaved like usual but Ji Yang didn't. While my friend ate his lunch absentmindedly, Ji Yang didn't even touch his food. I didn't know why I was watching these two so intensively but I couldn't help it.

The Queen was having a conversation with Bowen, talking about the plans for the banquet, and Yibo, who sat right next to me, ate his lunch quietly. I tried not to look in his direction but I sensed his every movement as if they were my own.

Ji Yang was moving the food on his plate back and forth, not paying attention to it let alone eating it. His body was tense and whenever his eyes moved towards my friend, he looked like was about to murder him. One could say nothing changed but that wasn't true. Although the hate on his face was visible and very much tangible, something on it was different than before.

'I will have to talk with Haoxuan...' I thought before taking another bite of lunch.

I concentrated on eating and while I kept watching my friend and Ji Yang as secretly as possible, I listened to the conversation of the Queen and Bowen.

"No ice sculpture!" The Queen objected to yet another idea of Bowen. "We don't want to spoil the surprise, do we?"

"Then-"

"I want the banquet to start around 6 pm where everyone greets and talks to each other. Most of them probably didn't see each other in a couple of years and they need to catch up. And while doing so everyone will surely be waiting eagerly to meet Xiao Zhan. I don't want them to see him until I will let him enter."

"Are you waiting for-"

"Yes, Bowen. That man will probably arrange a little act and I would love to see it before Xiao Zhan gets introduced. I want to see his acting skills as well as the expression on his face when the truth comes out. So, no ice sculpture. We can do that at the next banquet."

"Your Majesty, you allowed him to walk around freely, don't you think your plan will not work."

"Our dear Prime Minister is sure of himself, Bowen. Because according to him, he always gets what he wants, one way or the other. He is after all a smart man, I won't deny that. But the time where he will be smarter than I has yet to come." The Queen announced proudly.

"He won't keep a close eye on us for the time being because he is sure to already have achieved what he wanted. Nevertheless, I want the invitations to leave the palace by the end of the day so they will arrive within the next two days. Then he will have enough time to prepare for his little act."

I didn't quite understate what they were talking about but I knew for sure they wanted to screw that creepy Prime Minister up and honestly, I am here for it.

"He probably thinks he is winning but I am much smarter than him. I am always a step ahead." She chuckled. "I seriously can't wait for the grand final."

My attention went to the Queen. "What are you talking about?"

She smiled at me brightly. "Nothing, I am just paving the way for you to enjoy your life away from toxic people. Unfortunately, I can't keep everyone away from you right away so I will just start with the worst of them."