Chapter 26: Thirsty for more

Back with another update. I hope you enjoy it <3 <3 <3

Xiao Zhan's POV

Okay, maybe calling it an attack was a tiny little bit exaggerated.

I found myself surrounded by warmth. I froze on the spot when the Queen hugged me. No matter how different the lifestyles are in this world, I would never understand why she could be so nice to me. I was an anomaly in her perfect life, wasn't I? Who would want to raise or interact with a child their spouse had with someone else in a heat of a moment?

"I am so sorry Xiao Zhan. We were a little bit slow in finding you a donor. We didn't expect the thirst to hit you out of nowhere. Are you alright?" She asked me and the worry in her voice was real. She was genuinely worried about me.

She stepped back and studied me. "It must have been a shock for you. I am really sorry, Xiao Zhan."

"I...." What could I answer to that? I felt weird getting all her attention. But don't let me lie, I could get used to it in the future.

I saw her looking at Yibo. "I apologize for what happened but I am truly thankful you helped him out. I hope you are okay."

"Mhn, I am perfectly fine," Yibo answered.

"Oh... I see. Well, I am glad you are perfectly fine." I could have sworn I saw a smirk in her face but when she turned back to me, it was gone.

"And you? Are you okay? If not, please let me know. The first time is always rather uncomfortable even for a vampire."

"I am okay. I ... don't feel uncomfortable." I answered honestly, trying to ignore my best friend who was visibly confused by this conversation. "Maybe because it wasn't my first time. I might not remember but...."

"I doubt that is the case but maybe being half-human makes you grasp things differently." She raised her hands and caressed my cheeks and my forehead. A smile appeared on her face as she ruffled through my hair but was suddenly replaced by a frown when her hands wandered down the back of my head over my neck towards my back. Her hands wandered over the back of my neck a second time before she pulled me into another hug,

"Yibo!" It wasn't a yell but she sounded not angry but ... well, not amused either. I broke free from her hug and turned to Yibo to figure out what made the Queen upset. He did nothing but stand there and meet the Queen's gaze.

"You can't just-!" She took a deep breath. "You will take care of that, do you hear me? How did this even happen when Xiao Zhan was the one drinking from you?"

I saw Yibo's ears turning pink again and it made me feel kind of satisfied. Yibo was usually like stone, rarely showing an expression. His ears changing color was proof that this man was human too. I mean, vampire.

Well, you know what I mean.

"Shit!" Haoxuan's yell was louder than the Queen's voice when she was reprimanding Yibo for who knew what.

"Seriously? I mean... you actually bit him and ... you know, drank from him?" He gaped at me. Not with a disgusted look but with an amazed and curious look. "Damn, that's awesome."

"Shut up!" That was Ji Yang's dark voice. "Who allowed you to talk like that!?"

Haoxuan met his gaze confidently. "Who allowed you to talk to me like you are doing ever since we met? I haven't even done anything to get treated by you like this. You are being unreasonable. You are the one that needs to be more friendly to me after what you have done!"