Stick To The Script

Sitting alone in the Happy Place, you maneuvered the small green-like energy of will around your fingertips.

It was something you were trying to do to gain more control over it while keeping the amount you drew out small. This served as both a sort of training, and also a little distraction you could give yourself on a whim.

The conclusion you and Hugo had come to was that you could only use small bits of the power of the ring at a time, but that was still useful.

It wasn't enough for you though. Although it seemed you were being able to use more and more of it regularly, you still couldn't manifest anything like the wall you created during the Heist.

'Earplugs were small and helped against Canary, but what about what happened at the end of the Auction? I think I remember my nose dripping with that black stuff while I was running, so was I using the ring unconsciously?'

Looking it the speck of a ball of green you had on your fingertips, you analyzed it.

'I don't know what happened to the ring either. Did it get....absorbed by me? I remember seeing a flash of green before I passed out on the rooftop, so did it happen then?'

'Also, this black stuff, what is it? It leaks whenever I use too much of the ring's power, and I think I remember it also coming out of Zatanna back at the Heist'

'Why am I asking myself so many questions?'

The thought caused you to stare at the ground in front of you, the energy on your fingertips vanishing.

'Am I asking myself these things because I don't want them to go unanswered? But why now? Out of all ti'-

...
...
...

'Do I really think we can't do this?'

Your expression morphed into one of shock and disbelief, as if you could barely believe your own thoughts.

'No. No I can't being thinking that. We can- have to do this. This is only the first step after all'

Once again, a small manifestation of a spinning ball appeared on your index finger.

'So no matter what happens tonight, we do this. Even if......'

"You're a mask, Y/N"

'Even if I have to swallow my pride and let go, or embrace it, we're doing this. I'm not letting Static or Hugo down, not tonight. I can't'

For some reason, the light that made up the ball's glow seemed to be even more apparent.

'No matter what it takes'

"Looks like you're getting the hang of it!"

A voice from just behind you made you jump, and as your concentration shattered so did the mini construct you made.

Looking behind you, you saw Static using one of his hands to lean/peer on and over your shoulder, a look of concern on his face.

"Hey Y/N, you good?"
"Yeah, yeah I'm good" At your dismissive response, the former? Hero raised an eyebrow.

At his expression, you let out a sigh. "Alright, I guess I'm not good. Just a bit concerned for later y'know?"

"I feel you. It's just I've never seen you zone out like that. Usually I'd never be able to sneak up on your like that" He gave you a teasing smile, and at that you looked at him with a frown.

"Well I haven't really been given a lot of time to think to myself in the last month. And almost every time I do, it's not good thoughts. I don't know, I guess I just feel a bit overwhelmed. Sometimes I even feel like I'm going insane" You admitted, to which Static just looked ahead and nodded.