The crystal dome

I fell into the dark and it was like grains of pollen under a microscope falling with me.

They were realities, other realities, other worlds and I slipped out of my reality. Then my instincts began to guide me. I recognised fear and my mind fixed on fear.

My instincts were screaming at me "This is your world. You have little ones! You have a family! You have females! You have a domain! You have gold! You're a dragon."

I was a dragon! Yes... a dragon... I was a dragon and I stretched out my paw to cling to the spikes of the purple grain, the pollen grain...

 I was a dragon and I stretched out my paw to cling to the spikes of the purple grain, the pollen grain

Except that the background was black, abysmal, endless.

Nothingness.

So I slipped into the flower and my consciousness returned to fragments.

Mum's delicious force-feeding, being nurtured.

Blanche's rescue, the jokes played on the maids. It was like a jigsaw puzzle of events that had no head or tail.

But I opened my wings and began to flap them, flying over an ocean of photos and flashes of my life as a wyvern.

My instinct didn't understand, but Mum and Dad were there to protect me.

That was the foundation. The beginning. The beginning again.

Then 3 wyverns hatched from an egg and shared the beakful and soon we were holding each other close and spending our days in the nest licking and kissing each other, as if we were one body.

We touched, rubbed and grunted together and, like birds, we opened our mouths to receive our blood and flesh torn by Mum.

Then the endless cuddles...

And... I lost consciousness, as if asleep in the family nest.

Meanwhile, the wyverns howled and Blanche stuck her head in the hole, screaming at me.

Then Kraa did the same and my name was replaced by grief, crying, squeaking and finally a litany of wailing.

They were inconsolable but also terrified that a huge claw or a giant spider would grab them by the throat and they would suffer the same fate as me.

The military arrived to see the commotion, the wyverns awake and all out flying like hornets around our termite mound/palace.

Neuville arrived near the hole and ... it was a bottomless hole, black and black and black.

We dug underneath and there was nothing. It was like a shadowy hole, a chasm several metres in diameter.

We ran a cable 30 metres, then 100 metres and there was nothing. Nothing but emptiness!

Then we sent up a drone, but the lack of air caused it to drift on itself. We pulled it back up, roped it up and there was nothing there...

We shouted