CHAPTER 42

Sassy's POV

"It was a long story," pagsisimula ni kuya. He's staring at the ceiling reminiscing something.

"I don't care, just say it!"

Napatigil siya at tinignan ako ng masama. Ngumisi ako saka nagpeace sign. Pasensya na, excited lang.

"I remember I was 5 years old at that time and you're 3. Mom and Dad decided that we'll have our Christmas vacation in the Philippines. Why in the Philippines? I don't f*ckin' know. Well, I guess it's because mom has a lot of Filipino friends at work and they keep on suggesting that Philippines is a nice place to visit. Mom's a Filipino, anyway, but she grew up here in California.

I could see that mom and dad are not in good terms since — I don't know, they're always fighting. That's all I know since I was born. They keep on arguing every single time. I remember hearing Dad said that mom's a slut — b*llsh*t — the truth is it's him who's lying all the time. We're on the plane when they start to argue again. Dad would yell at mom and again.. just again they'll argue about who the hell is cheating. Is it mom or dad? You know what? Everytime they're on a war, I'll just carry you with my strong little arms and I'll put you far away from them. Sometimes, we'll just stay on the corner and I'll cover your ears with my hands 'coz I don't want you to hear them argue.. the yelling, the screaming, I hate watching them being like that.

Arriving in the Philippines and the fact that tonight's Christmas eve still didn't make the situation any better. Mom and Dad payed for a beach house which was located in the province. We played beside the beach, on the white sand, don't you remember?"

"Oh I can't remember," napakamot ako ng ulo.

"You're supposed to remember it, you're 3," bwelta niya.

"E hindi ko nga maalala e"

"Nevermind..

We're playing when a kid came to us, he's prolly 5 years old too. I can't remember his name but he helped us build the sand castle. Then, suddenly mom came rushing with all our bags and luggages. She seems to be in a hurry, she's wearing her yellow tank top and shorts. I remember she yelled, "Take your sister and follow me to the car, we'll go home"

And I was like, 'what?' we just arrived. I haven't seen Dad so I thought he's already in the car. I told the kid we need to go home already, I held your hand and we walk to follow mom. The kid followed us too. We're on the parking lot and we found mom putting our things back to the car. I noticed dad wasn't there. I asked mom, why aren't we staying for long? She didn't respond tho. She's panicking, I don't know it's like she wanted to finish everything quickly like she don't want to get caught by someone.

"Get inside the car, Grey"

I heard what mom said but I didn't listen to her. I was talking with the kid and got distracted by his toy, he called it lato lato. I didn't notice that you ran towards someone.. I heard the loud slam of the car's door. Mom was already looking far away. Well, not that far away. She's looking at Dad meters away from the car, he's carrying you. Mom was furious. Her footsteps were like heavy and loud gunshots. The flames in her eyes seems to burn dad's soul into ashes. And.. she finally stood in front of him.. mom slapped dad. You cried. Mom said something, I can't clearly remember but it's mostly curse for sure. Then suddenly, dad's phone rings. Mom took it away from him and she answered the call. It's a video call, by the way.

Guess how mom greeted the girl on the screen, she says, "F*cking golddigger! Family wrecker! Go to hell! —"

"W-Wait! Mama really said that?," hindi makapaniwalang tanong ko. Napatigil din sa pagsubo ng popcorn sina Leo.