Chapter Forty One

*Tristan*

I pull the phone back from my ear as Cameron's voice nearly pops my eardrum. Putting the phone back, my cheeks flame from the embarrassment of that word. I knew it had to be that if it was his first thought as well. We've learned about it in school, but like an Omega's Heat it hadn't been talked about much. I really wished Uncle Sean had kept me in school when they got more in depth on the subject.

But they had barely started when I got pulled out.

"Is that a bad thing?" I ask a little worried by his tone.

"Well...depends." He started cautiously.

"On what?"

"An Alpha only knots when they're extremely aroused. Something you did or said caused that reaction out of him. And most Alpha's are very anal when it comes to knotting. Which is why about ninety percent go into hiding during Rut. Even when they have an Omega on hand."

I hear him squirm on the other side of the line as he clears his throat. "Basically, the only time they risk it, is when..."

I wait for him to continue, but when he doesn't, I become impatient. "Is when, what?" I huff.

I hear him sigh heavily. "Did you use protection, Tristan?"

I frown at the sudden change of topic. But once the words registered in my head my entire body heats up. "Well...um we weren't really thinking about that..." I mumble, remembering that was the furthest thing from our minds at the moment.

"So, that would be a no. Jesus Christ, Tristan. Is the sexual arousal that mind blowing that neither of you think beyond getting it in?" He practically snaps sounding aspirated.

Shame washes over me as I open my mouth to respond when he states, "Don't actually answer that."

I close my mouth shut, sitting there not knowing what to say now.

"This is a serious situation. He knotted you without using protection."

"What exactly does that mean?" I was hesitant to even ask.

"Well, the fact that he did could mean he has genuine feelings for you, and he doesn't strike me as an Alpha who's irresponsible to things like this. Also, and don't freak out okay, but it's a sure way to get impregnated."

I know he couldn't see them, but my eyes were huge in my face. Pregnant? How the hell didn't I think that could be a possibility? Why didn't it ever cross my mind that it could happen? Especially since neither of us thought to strap it on?

"When's your birthday?" He suddenly asks, pulling me out of my dazed state.

"Oh! Um...it's actually next week."

"What?! And you weren't going to say anything?! What the hell, Tris!"

He truly sounded upset by that fact, making me frown at his reaction. "I never celebrate it anyways. It's not an event that gets noticed by anyone, so it just became another day for me." I shrug even though I knew he couldn't see me do it.

Silence meets me on the other end. I look to the phone to see we were still connected. "Cam?"

"Tristan, we're celebrating your birthday. Every year from here on out in fact. It's an important date and you deserve to feel special on that day."